Kennel Volunteers Needed
Guiding Eyes for the Blind
- Be 18 or older
- Be able to make a long-term commitment of at least one year with typically one shift per week (Typical Kennel Volunteer shifts are: 7AM-11AM, 8AM-11AM, 8AM-12PM, 12PM-4PM, 3PM-7PM, or 4PM-7PM)weekends/weekdays
- Live within easy commuting distance of our Patterson, NY or Yorktown Heights, NY locations.
- Be able to lift, push, pull and/or maneuver up to 40 lbs easily
- Be able to bend, stand, stoop repeatedly for up to 4 hours without difficulty
- Be able to kneel repeatedly on hard surfaces without difficulty
- Sit on low chair for up to 20 minutes at a time without difficulty
- Be comfortable handling and interacting with large dogs/puppies
- Be comfortable performing tasks on wet, slippery, uneven flooring
- Easily tolerate loud barking
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Perform cleaning tasks with industrial cleaning agents
- Clean up poop, urine and vomit as necessary
- Tolerate dog hair and dog slobber on your clothes and skin
- Be able to read, write, listen and communicate verbally in English
- Precisely follow written and/or verbal instructions
About Guiding Eyes for the Blind
361 Route 164, Patterson, NY 12563, US
Guiding Eyes for the Blind is dedicated to enriching the lives of blind and visually impaired men and women by providing them with the freedom to travel safely with the assistance of professionally trained Guiding Eyes dogs, thereby assuring greater independence, dignity and new horizons of opportunity.
Guiding Eyes for the Blind is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization that receives no government assistance. It is funded solely by contributions from individuals, corporations and foundations. The organization relies heavily on the services of many dedicated volunteers.