The World Affairs Council is seeking a part-time, ongoing volunteer to support the organization’s overall communications strategy, with a focus on social media engagement. The volunteer will receive hands-on experience with nonprofit communications technology and digital media. All volunteers are encouraged to attend our lectures and events, and have an opportunity to meet Council staff, supporters, and partners.
Why it's awesome to be part of World Affairs Council:
- Gain firsthand experience with a global nonprofit organization
- University credit possible for students, depending on your university’s internship criteria
- Become part of a community of international and local leaders
- Gain skills related to digital marketing
- Gain knowledge of the world of international development and community engagement
- Research-lovers: dig in to find and engage with relevant potential partners, supporters
- Utilize and develop your writing skills to be our voice on social media
- Use and develop graphic design, video or photography skills for digital outreach
- Volunteer at our downtown Portland office, and/or work from home/virtual for some tasks
- Interest in global issues and cultures
- Tech savvy, quick learning
- Familiarity with Twitter, Facebook, LinkIn, Instagram, Youtube
- Entrepreneurial, get 'er done attitude
- Organized, attention to detail
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Sense of humor & optimism!
Bonus if you have....
- Basic experience with tools like Hootsuite
- Experience with email tools like MailChimp
- Basic HTML understanding, CMS experience (Wordpress, Drupal)
- Some nifty worldwide travel adventure stories under your belt
- Photography and/or videography skills
- Create compelling, relevant social media messages, e-news, etc. to promote our mission, specific events, or other outreach campaigns
- Research prospects, potential partners, and strategically link/re-post shared content
- Track and analyze results of digital campaigns
Preference is given to persons who are studying or have studied in the areas of Web Development, Graphic Design, Communications, Social Media, Digital Marketing, Public Relations, International Affairs, Information Management, or a related field.
All World Affairs Council internships are unpaid. Recruiting for positions is ongoing. We ask for a three month commitment and a minimum of 8 hours a week. (Remote/work from home is also an option.)
If you are interested in rolling up your sleeves and getting involved, please send an email with your cover letter, social media handles, and resumé to email@example.com
Please include answers to the following:
1. Are you interested in volunteering, or interning for school credit?
2. Why you are interested in this opportunity?
3. What is your "superpower" and what "superpower" do you hope to develop?
3. How did you hear about World Affairs Council?
4. Bonus question: Can you find a typo in this listing?
- Copy Writing / Copy Editing
- Social Media / Blogging
- Content Management Systems
- Interactive/Social Media/SEO
- Graphic Design / Print
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- See description.