Purpose: USA Web School is starting a program called USA Web Tutors.
Our initial program will offer free math tutoring for underprivileged students.
We are seeking volunteers with experience instructing middle school students (6 th to 8 th grade) with STEM subjects (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics).
We need people with the passion and patience to help build each child’s confidence and skills to demonstrate that they will be able to succeed in their academic goals.
Goal: To enroll at least 8 students who have strong tutoring needs and then if there is an overwhelming response, expand accordingly. Only four students will be in the tutoring program per day, rotating on (M, W, F / T, Th, Sat) schedules.
Location: Tutors will be working with students in our office located at 2848-M Queen City Drive, Charlotte, NC, 28208.
- Work one-on-one or with small groups of middle school students to increase mathematic skills.
- Encourage students to solve problems on their own while helping them work through concepts and equations.
- Develop resources to tutor students to build Math Skills.
- Evaluate students to measure skill progression and determine improvement areas.
- Help students to prepare for tests.
- Record and report progress
Responsible to: Kris Tyte, Associate Director and Tutoring Coordinator
Length of Appointment: 2016 - 2017 school year
Time Commitment: Three days a week. Tutoring will be offered Monday through Friday from 3:30 - 6:30 PM and Saturdays from 10:00am-1:00pm.
- Patience and flexibility to respond to the changing needs of students.
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Strong understanding of math concepts and applications; ability to teach the subject you are tutoring.
- Preferred college degree in math, science or relevant subject, but not required.
Support: Training for this position will be provided
Pay: Primary tutoring program will be unpaid volunteer positions.
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
- Computer Science
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Three days a week with 3 hours per day
- Existing teaching experience