CMMB is an international NGO providing long-term, co-operative medical and development aid to communities affected by poverty and unequal access to healthcare. For over a century, CMMB has worked to strengthen and support communities through healthcare programs and initiatives, the distribution of medicines and medical supplies, and the placement of volunteers.
CMMB’s Volunteer Program addresses the critical need for professionals in areas that lack sufficient resources for quality preventive and curative health services, especially for women and children. Our Volunteer Program has placed thousands of practitioners around the world to help develop and implement community health interventions, work at local hospitals and health facilities, conduct clinical training for host country counterparts, and deliver essential medicines and supplies. The ultimate goal of CMMB's Volunteer Program is to support our country teams and local healthcare workers by sending volunteers that are dedicated to strengthening local health systems and supporting a pattern of sustainable development.
We believe in a world in which health and human dignity are shared by all.
We believe that access to quality healthcare is a basic human right. For more than 100 years, we have worked with global partners to deliver locally sustainable, quality healthcare solutions to women, children, and their communities. We’re ready to make it 100 more.
We believe change starts with her.
We work tirelessly for women’s and children’s health because they are disproportionately affected by illness and poverty. We know that healthy, educated, and empowered women are better able to raise healthy, educated, and confident children, and that communities depend on their livelihoods.
We believe in people.
We strive to live out our core values of collaboration, love, excellence, and respect every day. We provide our volunteers with a meaningful volunteer package, and the opportunities to learn, grow, and leave a longstanding legacy. We especially encourage all persons of diverse backgrounds to apply.
In 2015, CMMB:
- Volunteers dedicated 101,353 hours valued at almost $4.9 million
- Assisted 43,969 pregnant women
- Provided health services to 447,566 people
- Trained 4,734 health workers (1,400 were trained by volunteers)
- Provided critical health services to 91,013 children
Delivered medicines & medical supplies valued at $266 million
Peru’s recent economic growth hides unjust social inequalities. Development has by?passed the remote rural regions and chronic malnutrition among children is common. These factors are driven by food insecurities, poverty and inaccessibility to health services. CMMB Peru’s project activities are committed to further reducing malnutrition, anemia, and other determinants of maternal and child morbidity.
CMMB Peru health projects focus on improving the health and nutrition of women, children, and their communities in underserved and marginalized areas including:
- Distrito Macate, Provincia del Santa, Region Ancash
- Distrito de Chilca, Provincia de Huancayo, Region Jun?n
- Distrito La Esperanza, Provincia de Trujillo, Region La Libertad
The CHAMPS model, a strategic initiative, is utilized to meet this goal. This model is composed of three main objectives:
- Improving quality and access to healthcare
- Improving health conditions: water, sanitation, and nutrition
- Promoting economic development
CMMB Peru meets these objectives through the implementation of different projects and activities, including:
- The First 1,000 Days Project
- Health and nutrition for children under five, and pregnant women
- WASH - water, sanitation and hygiene
- Animal husbandry programs to promote economic self-sufficiency
- Support from Bon Secour Sisters and domestic and international volunteers
- Rehabilitation for children with disabilities
The First 1000 Days Project trains health professionals and community health workers, advises parents on child and family health and nutrition, promotes safe water and sanitation practices, and provides nutritional supplementation to underweight and malnourished children. The project also supports and addresses barriers to economic self?sufficiency through animal husbandry projects using locally appropriate livestock including guinea pigs, ducks, and quail eggs.
CHAMPS Peru complements existing community-based programs designed to improve maternal and child health. The initiative will expand on and diversify existing interventions to focus on integrated management of neonatal and child illnesses and prevention and screening for cervical cancer and diabetes, with greater coordination among local social actors.Key Facts
- Population : 31,377,000 (Source: UN, 2015)
- Life Expectancy : 74 (Source: UN, 2010-2015)
- Maternal Mortality Rate : 68 per 100,000 (100th in the world) (Source: WHO, 2015)
- Under-5 Mortality Rate : 17 per 1,000 (96th in the world) (Source: UN Inter-agency Group for Child Mortality Estimation, 2015)
Country Offices: Huancayo & Trujillo, Peru
- Learn More About Huancayo: https://cmmb.org/champs-community/huancayo-peru/
- Learn More About Trujillo: https://cmmb.org/champs-community/trujillo-peru/
- Empowering Children with Disabilities
- Providing access to high-quality therapy and support
- Learn More: https://cmmb.org/project/empowering-children-with-disabilities/
- The First 1000 Days
- Supporting expectant mothers and young children
- United Against Infant Mortality
- Healthier lives for children at risk
- Learn More: https://cmmb.org/project/united-against-infant-mortality/
Current Peru Volunteer Opportunities:
- Clinical: https://cmmb.org/get-involved/volunteer/clinical-medical-professionals/
- Medical Doctor - General Practitioner/Internal Medicine (2 positions available)
- MD - General Surgeon
- MD - Pediatrician (2 positions available)
- MD - OB-GYN (2 positions available)
- Nurse Practitioner (2 positions available)
- Nurse (RN or BSN) (2 positions available)
- Occupational, Physical, and Speech Therapists (4 positions available)
- Mental Health - Psychologist, Counselor, Psychiatrist (2 positions available)
- Public Health Professional: Generalist (2 positions available)
- Public Health Professional, Nutrition
- Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist (2 positions available)
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Marketing and Communications Specialist (2 positions available)
Interested? Apply today!
6 - 12 Months
Expenses & Conditions:
Volunteers who serve for 6 months or longer receive housing, monthly stipend, and insurance coverage. Volunteers are required to share stories from the field, cover part of the cost of their placement through fundraising or individual contributions ($2,500), and build a legacy project for the community where they serve.
Contact & Application:
Apply online at www.cmmb.org/volunteer
Email: email@example.com Phone: 212-242-7757
General Requirements and Qualifications
Specific requirements vary by location and position.
- All international volunteers must be at least 21 years old
- Medical professionals must have licensures in good standing
- Min. Bachelor’s degree (except for some US based internships)
- Familiarity and interest in global health issues, especially maternal and child health
- Ability to perform in resource-limited working conditions
- Ability to work collaboratively and professionally while navigating cultural and language barriers
- Ability to be flexible and prioritize projects and tasks effectively; self-starter; takes initiative
- Problem solver, able to identify needs, and develop solutions
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills
- Adaptable and flexible
- Proficiency in English; strong communication skills
- Mental Health
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 6 to 12 months
- Accounting and Finance Officer
- Volunteer with CMMB in Haiti!
- Administrative Support to...
- Volunteer with CMMB in Peru!
- Volunteer with CMMB in Zambia!
- Marketing and Communications...
- Hospitality Services Manager
- Global Health Volunteer Intern...
- Volunteer with CMMB in South...
- Global Health Volunteer (Various...
- Human Resources Internship at CMMB
- Volunteer with CMMB in Kenya!