Volunteer with CMMB in South Sudan!
12 people are interested
CMMB is an international NGO providing long-term, co-operative medical and development aid to communities affected by poverty and unequal access to healthcare. For over a century, CMMB has worked to strengthen and support communities through healthcare programs and initiatives, the distribution of medicines and medical supplies, and the placement of volunteers.
CMMB’s Volunteer Program addresses the critical need for professionals in areas that lack sufficient resources for quality preventive and curative health services, especially for women and children. Our Volunteer Program has placed thousands of practitioners around the world to help develop and implement community health interventions, work at local hospitals and health facilities, conduct clinical training for host country counterparts, and deliver essential medicines and supplies. The ultimate goal of CMMB's Volunteer Program is to support our country teams and local healthcare workers by sending volunteers that are dedicated to strengthening local health systems and supporting a pattern of sustainable development.
We believe in a world in which health and human dignity are shared by all.
We believe that access to quality healthcare is a basic human right. For more than 100 years, we have worked with global partners to deliver locally sustainable, quality healthcare solutions to women, children, and their communities. We’re ready to make it 100 more.
We believe change starts with her.
We work tirelessly for women’s and children’s health because they are disproportionately affected by illness and poverty. We know that healthy, educated, and empowered women are better able to raise healthy, educated, and confident children, and that communities depend on their livelihoods.
We believe in people.
We strive to live out our core values of collaboration, love, excellence, and respect every day. We provide our volunteers with a meaningful volunteer package, and the opportunities to learn, grow, and leave a longstanding legacy. We especially encourage all persons of diverse backgrounds to apply.
In 2016, CMMB:
- Assisted 57,828pregnant women
- Provided health services to 571,575 people
- Trained 2,741health workers
- Provided critical health services to 171,336children
Delivered medicines & medical supplies valued at $539 million
About South Sudan
CMMB has been working in the Republic of South Sudan, the world’s newest nation, since 2009. South Sudan has recently suffered from devastating civil conflict that has destroyed social services and health infrastructure. Compounding matters, conflict in countries bordering South Sudan has also spilled over into the country. CMMB currently works in Mvolo, Ezo, Yambio and Ibba counties in the greater Western Equatoria region.
Program areas include:
- Assessment of health service delivery capacity
- Child protection and family reunification
- Domestic and international volunteers
- Gender-based violence prevention and survivor counseling
- HIV/AIDS prevention, care, and treatment
- Refugee health services
- Safe motherhood
CMMB’s CHAMPS areas in South Sudan serve the towns and surrounding areas of Ezo, Nzara, and Yambio. The initiative focuses on safe motherhood, child protection, safe water and sanitation, and women’s empowerment. CMMB provides HIV/AIDS care and treatment and community health workers conduct health information sessions, testing and adherence counseling. The CMMB team provides training and mentorship to local healthcare workers and water committees and manages the supply and distribution of medications and water purification tablets.Key Facts
- Population : 12,340,000 (Source: UN, 2015)
- Life Expectancy : 55 (Source: UN, 2010-2015)
- Maternal Mortality Rate : 789 per 100,000 (179th in the world) (Source: WHO, 2015)
- Under-5 Mortality Rate : 93 per 1,000 (183rd in the world) (Source: UN Inter-agency Group for Child Mortality Estimation, 2015)
Country Offices: Nzara & Yambio, South Sudan
- Learn More About Nzara: https://cmmb.org/champs-community/nzara-south-sudan/
- Learn More About Yambio: https://cmmb.org/champs-community/yambio-south-sudan/
- Essential HIV and AIDS Services
- Fighting infection with education and expanded care
- Learn More: https://cmmb.org/project/essential-hiv-aids-services/
- Integrated Healthcare Services Delivery
- Supporting access to quality health care
- Learn More: https://cmmb.org/project/the-integrated-healthcare-services-delivery-project/
- Refugees & Displaced Persons
- Access to healthcare for refugees and families internally displaced by conflict
- Learn More: https://cmmb.org/project/services-for-refugees-and-internally-displaced-persons/
- Safe Motherhood in South Sudan
- Encouraging traditional birth attendants (TBAs) to refer pregnant women for facility-based prenatal care and delivery
- Learn More: https://cmmb.org/project/safe-motherhood-in-south-sudan/
Current South Sudan Volunteer Opportunities:
MD - General Surgeon
Nurse (RN or BSN)
Public Health Professional, Generalist
Supply Chain Manager
Interested? Apply today!
6 - 12 Months
Expenses & Conditions:
Volunteers who serve for 6 months or longer receive housing, monthly stipend, and insurance coverage. Volunteers are required to share stories from the field, cover part of the cost of their placement through fundraising or individual contributions ($2,500), and build a legacy project for the community where they serve.
Contact & Application:
Apply online at www.cmmb.org/volunteer
Email: email@example.com Phone: 212-242-7757
General Requirements and Qualifications
Specific requirements vary by location and position.
- All international volunteers must be at least 21 years old
- Medical professionals must have licensures in good standing
- Min. Bachelor’s degree (except for some US based internships)
- Familiarity and interest in global health issues, especially maternal and child health
- Ability to perform in resource-limited working conditions
- Ability to work collaboratively and professionally while navigating cultural and language barriers
- Ability to be flexible and prioritize projects and tasks effectively; self-starter; takes initiative
- Problem solver, able to identify needs, and develop solutions
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills
- Adaptable and flexible
- Proficiency in English; strong communication skills
We'll work with your schedule.
Multiple positions in multiple locationsNzara, South Sudan
- Supply Chain
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 6 to 12 months