The GO Project shapes the futures of low-income New York City public school children by providing critical academic, social and emotional support starting in the early elementary years. GO provides year-round educational and family support services to children who are performing below grade level and equips them with the confidence and skills needed to succeed at school, at home and in life.
GO Fundamentals, is a tutoring program for GO Project K-8 students who have been identified as "promotion in doubt" by their public schools. (Promotion in Doubt means a student may need to repeat their current grade). GO Fundamentals provides the students with additional academic time on literacy development. By working with the students on a more individualized basis, we will give them more opportunities to master the reading and writing skills needed to be promoted to the next grade in June.
GO Fundamentals 2016 Schedule
February 4, 11, 25
March 4, 11, 18, 25
April 1, 8, 22
- College students, professionals, retirees, and high school students in good academic standing.
- Commitment to and belief in all children’s ability to succeed and thrive.
- Professional work habits.
- Tutor one-to-one or in small groups students who are in need of academic intervention.
- Punctual and consistent attendance; advanced notification of absences necessary.
- Actively and enthusiastically participate - supporting instruction and engagement.
- Help prepare, record, and put away classroom materials.
- Ongoing communication with the program staff regarding student’s progress &/or concerns, and overall volunteer experience.
¨ February-April, Saturdays from 12:30 PM - 2:30 PM.
¨ Attend mandatory orientation and training prior to start of session.
- Personal gratification through enhancing the lives of young learners.
- Ongoing professional development opportunities
- Joining a strong volunteer community
- Participating in volunteer social events and outings
- Grace Church School (86 Fourth Avenue, between 10 th and 11 th Streets)
- LREI (272 6 th Avenue, at the corner of Bleecker Street)
- Avenues (259 10 th Avenue, between 25 th and 26 th Streets)
- St. Luke’s (487 Hudson Street, on Christopher and Hudson Streets)
- Grace Church High School (46 Cooper Square) [FOR 6 th - 8 th GRADE TUTORING]
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 13
- Orientation or Training
- Saturdays 12:30 PM - 2:30 PM