Left Forum Social Movement Calendar Volunteer
Fall 2016 - Spring 2017
The Graduate Center, City University of New York
Left Forum is looking for a volunteer to help us with our ongoing social movement calendar project.
About the Social Movement Calendar and the Volunteer Position:
We are seeking a creative individual with skills in research and a passion for social justice and learning. The Left Forum social movement calendar is a new project that we have just launched with the goal of informing our base and encouraging people to get involved. Each week, we send out this calendar of events to thousands of allies and interested members of public. We are seeking a volunteer who can commit several hours a week to researching and updating our calendar with upcoming social actions, learning opportunities, and protests. Ideally, this volunteer will be active in the social justice and/or lefty academic community and have a sense of creativity along with the ability to help out as we further develop the calendar’s format and layout.
About Volunteering With Left Forum:
We're a small organization with a dedicated group of staff, organizers, and volunteers, leaving lots of room for your creativity. Located in the CUNY Graduate Center in Midtown Manhattan, you'll have the opportunity to work in an office where you'll interact, meet, and learn from scholars and activists in a rewarding intellectual political milieu. For this volunteer position, we ask for a minimum of two to three hours per week, and we ask for a commitment of at least three months or more. Please note: this volunteer opportunity is unpaid.
- Research upcoming events and actions in the NYC area
- Contact allies for event submissions and add user-submitted events gathered from our event submission page
- Assist in the development of a visually pleasing and functional layout/format for the calendar
- Assist in outreach to increase the calendar’s distribution to potentially interested individuals and organizations
- Distribute the weekly calendars utilizing both our mailing system and social media
Background and Desired Experience:
- A passion for social justice and social/political education
- Editorial, proofreading, research, and writing skills are a plus
- A high level of attention to detail
- The ability to see projects through to their completion
- Outreach skills
- The ability to work effectively, both individually and in a team
- The ideal person will also be creative and tech-savvy.
About Left Forum:
Left Forum is the largest annual progressive conference in the country. Also engaged in a range of events year-round, the Forum brings together thousands of conference and event participants to discuss pressing local, national, and global issues; to better understand commonalities and differences, as well as alternatives to current predicaments,; or to share ideas to help build social movements. Speakers at the New York City events include Noam Chomsky, Angela Davis, Harry Belafonte, Arundhati Roy, Naomi Klein, Michael Moore, Cornel West, Bolivian Vice President Álvaro García Linera, Kshama Sawant, Amy Goodman, Slavoj Žižek, Grace Lee Boggs, Marina Sitrin, and Immortal Technique.
Please send a cover letter and/or resume to Ashley Abbott at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 2-3 hours per week for 3 months (minimum)