Volunteers will assist in teaching Web Development, one of the four tech-focused courses offered at RETC every Saturday. This project-based course guides students through a sequence of website and web application creation using industry standard tools, design concepts and programming languages. Successful students will have a solid foundation from which to enter an intensive coding bootcamp, build websites and apps as an entrepreneur or leverage on college applications.
- Answer questions from students.
- Promote a productive classroom dynamic by managing potentially disruptive behavior.
- Help with setup and/or cleanup as necessary.
- Familiarity with Java, CSS, HTML, and basic website design preferred
- Comfortable working with students aged 18 and above
- Verbal communication skills
- Cultural sensitivity
- Foreign language skills are not required but are helpful
- TIME FRAME
- Two hours each Saturday from 1pm - 3pm.
The volunteer will have the opportunity to learn more about refugees and skills such as classroom management, public speaking, and presentation. Volunteers will also have the chance to network with other professionals in various tech-related fields from different companies, such as Goldman Sachs.
- The amount of material that each student is able to complete.
- The number of students who go on to pursue field-related internships or college degrees.
- Website Programming
- Web Design
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Saturdays from 1-3 pm