At Active Children Portland, we don’t just hire coaches, we hire mentors to change children’s lives. All of our coach-mentors work with a team of 15 kids in an afterschool setting. A coach-mentor works to support the SUN site staff from after school until pick up. You will connect with their team after school and assist with the transition from class to practice, including snack, soccer practice, and homework time. Our curriculum, Soccer for Success, is a nationally recognized youth development curriculum that covers nutrition, literacy, community service, and soccer.
Our Spring season is 8-10 weeks long, hours from 2-5:30, Monday through Thursday with game days on Saturdays from 9-1. All of our coach-mentors make a commitment to be available during the season at those times. Training dates are March 24th and April 1st.
- Responsible - Arrive at your site 10-15 minutes early to set up for a smooth transition from after school snack into practice time. Keep accurate attendance, provide pictures when requested, attend all Active Children Portland trainings and utilize supplemental materials, communicate with your site manager and Active Children Portland staff.
- Be a Mentor - Work with your team on soccer skills as well as life skills, such as team building, conflict resolution, homework help, community service, and character building.
- Reliable, patient, enthusiastic, and fun!
- Coaching Experience - Soccer or coaching experience is a plus, but if you are great with children and have some familiarity with the game, education, or youth development, you are a great candidate.
- Bachelor’s degree (or pursuing) in education, child development, recreation, community development, or exercise sciences.
- Previous teaching, coaching, or mentorship experience.
- Coach-Mentors are paid $13-$15 dollars/hour, based on experience.
- Must be able to work in the US without Visa sponsorship and pass a background check.
- Child Development
- Literacy / Reading
- Physical Education
- Sports Coaching
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- 8 weeks, 4 days per week, 3 hours per day
- Attend provided trainings