(Not to be confused with Exhibit Fabricator or Exhibit Shop Assistant; those involve working in the exhibit shop to help create exhibits. The Exhibit Facilitator position involves being in existing exhibits.)
The Maryland Science Center’s Education Department is looking for enthusiastic, friendly volunteers to facilitate our hands-on exhibit spaces. This position is suited for individuals who possess an interest in STEM learning and/or informal science education and are at ease with people and enjoy interacting with them, especially families and school-aged children. Exhibit Facilitator volunteers are available on the museum floor to offer informal interpretation of various exhibits. Maryland Science Center exhibits cover a wide range of topics including astronomy, dinosaurs, physics, electricity, light, sound, earth sciences, the human body, and more!
Opportunities exist to volunteer at a higher educational level (see Science Educator, Level I or II), but our greatest need is with the Exhibit Facilitator, a person who is willing to simply be available on the museum floor to smile and talk to guests about pretty much all manner of things, Maryland Science Center-related and sometimes perhaps even Baltimore-related.
- Staff Maryland Science Center exhibit spaces
- Answer questions, explain exhibits, and offer guidance for guests (answers may also include directions to restrooms, the store, the cafe, and the security desk)
- Ensure guests are behaving and interacting in a safe manner
- Continue to read, research, and learn to further personal knowledge of exhibits
- Interest in STEM learning and/or informal, hands-on science learning
- Friendly, outgoing demeanor; at ease with people
- Ability to exhibit great patience with school-aged children and their adult chaperones
Training: Training is provided by Education Department Public Programs Supervisors and peers, and self-learning is encouraged so you can become very familiar with exhibits.
Time Requirements: One shift at least once a month (Tuesday-Sunday) for a minimum of three months. Opportunities exist to volunteer at a higher educational level (Level I or II Science Educator), but our greatest need is with the Exhibit Facilitator, a person who is willing to simply be available on the museum floor to smile and talk to guests about pretty much all manner of things, Maryland Science Center-related and sometimes perhaps even Baltimore-related.
Please visit marylandsciencecenter.org for further information and application forms. All volunteers must submit an application, and volunteer appointments are by interview only. All applicants (over the age of 18) must complete a background check and orientation session, prior to volunteering.
- People Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Environmental Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- One shift per month, for at least three months
- Exhibits Shop Assistant: Help...
- Bus Greeter
- Lobby Ambassador/IMAX Theater...
- Kids Room Educator: Teach,...
- Planetarium eBay Specialist
- SciLab Assistant: Help young...
- Green Roof Assistant
- Exhibit Facilitator: Assist...
- Ticket Agent
- Science Educator: Inspire the...
- Science Store Cashier
- Group Mailing Assistant: Help...
- Observatory Assistant: Share...
- Exhibits Fabricator
- Kids Room Upkeep Assistant