The World Affairs Council of Oregon is seeking motivated individuals with a passion for all things international to support its over 40 public events, forums, and lectures annually that bring some of the world’s leading diplomatic and political officials, policy makers, authors, and academics to Oregon. This position will primarily serve to assist with event support and act as a representative of the World Affairs Council of Oregon, sharing program information and furthering our mission within the greater Portland community. Council events typically take place Monday-Friday at noon or early evening.
- Lead check-in and registration at Council and Council co-sponsored events
- Assist staff in managing day-of event logistics including:
- Event set-up/clean-up
- Assist with Audio/Visual set up
- Managing registration and attendee lists
- Overseeing sale of event-related books
- Trouble-shooting issues that may arise
- Table at Council and non-council events:
- Create a display for informational and promotional materials
- Answer inquiries about the Council and its programs
- Promote upcoming events and Council memberships
- Encourage individuals to join WAC mailing list
- Represent the Council in a professional and positive manner
- Assist in data entry and management following each event
- Flexible schedule
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Organized and detail oriented
- Interested in international affairs
- Positive attitude, flexibility, sense of humor
- Previous A/V experience is helpful
Preference is given to persons who are studying or have studied in the areas of International Affairs, Non-Profit Management, Event Planning, Political Science, or related field.
All World Affairs Council of Oregon internships are unpaid. Interns/volunteers are encouraged to attend monthly lectures and forums sponsored by the Council. We require a minimum of 5-10 hours per week and a six month commitment. Increased hours can lead to increased responsibility. Compensation comes in the currency of new skills, networking opportunities, hands-on experience in assisting a local non-profit, and fun!
Application Instructions: Please send a brief email including your experience and interests to firstname.lastname@example.org. All selected candidates will need to undergo an orientation.
- Event Management
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training