We are looking for qualified candidates to become facilitators for our unique Connect Program. The Connect Program-Soliya’s flagship virtual exchange initiative-is an online cross-cultural education program integrated into university curriculums that provides students with a unique opportunity to:
- Establish a deeper understanding for the perspectives of others around the world on important socio-political issues and why they feel the way the do;
- Develop "21st Century Skills" such as critical thinking, cross-cultural communication and media literacy skills.
Soliya facilitators are trained to engage participants in a productive, respectful dialogue that progresses from discussing culture and everyday life to delving into controversial topics. Through their experience with Soliya, facilitators gain:
- An opportunity to get hands-on experience facilitating international conflict resolution dialogue;
- Personalized feedback and coaching on their facilitation skills and style;
- Extensive training relevant to both in-person and online group facilitation;
- An opportunity to work closely with a partner from across the globe and to be part of an extraordinary international team of volunteers;
- Experience working with a growing international non-profit organization.
- Access to continued development and training through a volunteer growth path and unique engagement opportunities and workshops provided to our community,
- Build 21 st century skills such as; leadership and initiative, critical thinking and problem solving, cross cultural collaboration, and teamwork
- After one semester of facilitation for the Connect Program, you receive a Soliya Advanced Facilitation Training Certificate endorsed by the UN Habitat.
Our trainings consist of a mixture of live online sessions, readings, and multimedia resources. Online sessions include interactive discussions, simulated facilitation practices, and feedback. The training program takes place in two formats: Basic Training and Advanced Training.
- Basic Training: A 10-hour introductory training tailored for those new to facilitation, the Basic Training format focuses on providing a solid foundation on which trainees can build their skills, experience and comfort with facilitation. After successful completion of Basic Training, trainees can proceed to advanced.
- Advanced Training: A 20-hour training tailored for those that have a strong foundation in conflict resolution andfacilitation, the Advanced Training allows trainees to take on a more challenging curriculum and hone specific techniques. Successful completion of the Advanced Training qualifies trainees to facilitate for the Connect Program.
Individuals are accepted on a scholarship basis. To apply for a scholarship, include a paragraph explaining how you wish to apply your cross cultural facilitation training to your career.
Annual Training Calendar
- Winter Intensive Advanced: January, 5 weeks, 4-hour weekly sessions
- Spring Basic: March, 4 to 5 weeks, 2-hour weekly sessions
- Summer Advanced: April/May start, 10 weeks, 2-hour weekly sessions
- August Basic: August, 4 to 5 weeks, 2-hour weekly sessions
- August Intensive Advanced: August, 5 weeks, 4-hour weekly sessions
- Fall Advanced: October start, 10 weeks, 2-hour weekly sessions
Connect Program Facilitation Schedule
Trainees who successfully complete the training will become part of our international team of volunteers and are considered as facilitators for our Connect Program, which runs twice a year - in approximately March/April and again in October/November. During the Connect Program, all of our two-hour sessions take place on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays between 7am and 2pm Eastern Standard Time.
Through our Training and Facilitation program you can become part of Soliya's mission, develop your skills in facilitation and leading virtual exchange, and connect to our international community. All training and facilitation sessions are done online through Soliya's webconferencing application. All that is needed is a typical web-cam, a usb headset, and a high-speed internet connection. Facilitators can work from home, school or their office - wherever they have access to a computer with high-speed internet!
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Training: 2 - 4 hours/wk ; Fac: 1 - 2 hours/wk