Calling all Eastsiders with a passion for housing justice!
Do you like telling your district representatives what you think? Do you think the Eastside can do more to respond to the housing and homelessness crisis? Do you believe everyone deserves access to a safe, healthy, affordable home? Have you experienced housing instability or homelessness yourself? Then we want you on our team.
The Advocacy Committee drives Imagine Housing & Red Vines 1’s efforts to inform policy that supports and funds affordable housing. We build support for affordable housing by educating state and local elected officials as well as the general public about housing issues.
Advocacy committee members guide the organization’s policy and advocacy priorities and take a leading role in communicating with elected officials, engaging Imagine Housing and Red Vines Board Members in advocacy opportunities, and building an Eastside advocate base who can respond to calls for action. The committee also creates messaging and informational material to educate members of the public and elected officials about housing issues and policy needs.
Committee members attend monthly Advocacy committee meetings at the Imagine Housing office in Kirkland and should be able to commit an additional 5-10 hours per month to engaging in advocacy activities, including but not limited to:
- Attending and/or testifying at Eastside City Council meetings
- Meeting with Eastside State Representatives and local elected officials
- Creating written material (e.g. articles, infographics, blogs, social media content) about affordable housing issues
- Calling or emailing elected officials on the Eastside, and mobilizing Eastside residents to do the same
- Developing strategies and messaging around our advocacy goals
- Attend Housing and Homelessness Advocacy Day in Olympia
- Live and/or work on the Eastside
- A working knowledge of the local policy process
- Willingness and availability to attend and speak at City Council meetings when needed (weekday evenings)
- A commitment to increasing the stock of affordable housing in East King County
- Personal experience with housing instability or homelessness
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- 5-10 hrs, plus 1 90-min meeting per month