The Boys & Girls Club of Harlem seeks adult volunteers to support its academic support and enrichment programming for high school students at its Frederick Douglass Academy Clubhouse. Volunteer activities include:
- Providing support in the review and completion of homework assignments and class projects
- One-on-one and/or in small groups tutor on subjects which include high school mathematics (algebra, geometry, etc.); life science and English Language Arts
- Participate in interactive BGCHarlem-facilitated activities that support student competencies in time management, study skills and goal-setting
- Over age 18 with a high school diploma; some college or college degree preferred.
- Ability to commit a minimum of 2 hours 1 day per week.
- Willingness to share knowledge, skills and experience in helping students understand complex concepts
- A passion for working with youth in achieving their academic and social potential.
Schedule of Tutoring Rotation
Between: 2:30pm to 5pm
- Monday - Math (Algebra)
- Tuesday - Science (Basic Biology)
- Wednesday - Social Studies (More Writing Based Help)
- Thursday - English Literacy (More Writing Based Help)
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 1-2 Hrs a Day