VBCDC is currently looking for individuals or groups to volunteer to lead mentoring or tutoring activities at The Spot- Lake Edward. Previous experience as a mentor or tutor REQUIRED.
Commitment: approx. 4 hours per month (1 hour per week) for 1 year
Times: Volunteers will coordinate scheduling with VBCDC. Current openings are available for Tuesday-Thursday afternoons/evenings only (3pm-6pm).
- Good relationship building skills and ability to maintain constructive relationship boundaries with mentee, mentee’s family, and VBCDC staff/partners.
- Tolerance and openness to different world views and sensitivity to other cultures and languages.
- Ability and commitment to maintain confidentiality and act in a manner that is consistent with VBCDC policies and procedures.
- A general desire to have fun and work with children.
- Satisfactory criminal background and driving record checks, and proof of car insurance (if using a car).
- Provide 3 personal and/or professional references
- Participate in an interview with VBCDC staff
- Authorize a Criminal Background, Registered Sex Offender, and Motor Vehicle Record Check.
- Complete VBCDC Volunteer Orientation
NOTE: Maximum capacity at The Spot is limited to 12 people. Interested groups will be limited to 2-3 volunteers per shift.
- Literacy / Reading
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1 hour per week (4 hours per month) for 1 year