Volunteer Position Description: Youthbuild Tutors work closely with youth (ages 16-24) in a Goodwill Easter Seals training facility to help them gain the basic computer skills needed to thrive in the workplace, as well as GED math, social studies, science, and reading. Tutors provide individualized assistance as learners complete online lesson plans using Learner Web and Plato software in a welcoming, self-paced lab environment. Tutors use the Northstar Digital Literacy Assessment to assess learners’ skills, and to award certificates that provide a credential for employment.
As a Youthbuild Tutor, you’ll gain:
- Teaching and tutoring skills
- Experience with persons from a variety of educational and cultural backgrounds
- Experience with online learning tools
- Job skills, resume enhancement, and networking opportunities within the community
- Knowledge that your efforts are helping others reach their employment goals and thrive in today’s technological world
- Excellent computer skills, including the ability to use the Internet and email with ease
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate in an effective, supportive way with learners
- Flexibility and patience
- Respect for differences in culture and learning styles
- Fluency in reading, speaking and writing English
- Able to work independently in a community computer lab
- Interest in digital literacy and adult education
Training: Tutors attend a 12-hr pre-service training, as well as an orientation session with a Minnesota Literacy Council staff member at Goodwill. To gain familiarity with the online learning plans and assessments, tutors access them from home. Additional training provided as needed.
For more information: Please contact JennaRose Bondeson, Computer Skills Program Coordinator
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Two hours per week for a minimum of six months.