Tabithas Way is a client-choice pantry. Clients select the items they want most based on available quantities and family size. Many clients need help with the selection process and need help understanding what is available to them. Shopping Assistants help guide clients through this process.
Clients come to our pantry with various backgrounds and in a time of crisis. Shopping Assistants help clients feel welcome and help them get the food items they need. A welcoming personality and caring heart helps to ease their suffering and instills encouragement and hope.
Shopping Assistants are not required to have a food handlers permit but may be lifting items from time to time as some clients need help taking the food items to their vehicle.
DUTIES OF A SHOPPING ASSISTANT VOLUNTEER:
- Check in at the volunteer station and the Pantry Manger. Be sure to wear an apron and name badge.
- Before your shift begins, become familiar with the inventory stocked in the pantry for the day. Make
notes of items and limits posted so you can inform the client(s) you will be helping that day.
- Greet everyone you see and make them feel welcome.
- Once a client is ready to shop in the pantry you will be given an information sheet to help guide you on the clients family size and what items, quantities and restrictions if any apply for that client.
- Following the directional flow for the pantry, you will assist each client at each station with food selection until they have completed shopping.
- You will assist the client with final checkout procedures and direct them to a bagging station to place their grocery items into. Be sure to notice if the client appears to need help with getting the bagged items to their vehicle. When possible, only male volunteers should escort clients to their vehicles. Female volunteers should go in pairs. * Some clients do not have transportation and are walking, riding a bike or use a bus. Volunteers and employees are strictly forbidden from giving rides or making home deliveries to clients. If a client needs home delivery service, please inform the pantry manager.
- After making sure the clients needs are met, its on to the next client!
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 14
- Orientation or Training
- 2-3 hours