Early Education Coach
Are you looking for an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of children and the Foster Grandparent volunteers that serve them? Would you like to apply your experience in early education to help volunteers strengthen their teaching skills?
Jumpstart is looking for a volunteer with experience in coaching or mentoring and the Early Childhood Education field to help the Los Angeles Community Corps team! Our program engages Foster Grandparent volunteers (part of Senior Corps) who provide preschool children in underserved communities with loving relationships and literacy activities to help them succeed. Foster Grandparents work in teams of 5-7 in the same preschool across an entire school-year, implementing language & literacy activities from Jumpstart’s professional curriculum. Our Foster Grandparent corps consists of diverse volunteers from different cultures, life experiences, and generations (ages 55-95). These volunteers receive extensive training and monthly coaching visits from staff. Building a high quality program takes a community. The more in-person mentoring that volunteers receive, the more effective they become in the classroom - leading to increased quality & greater gains for children.
Mentor/Coaching activities include:
- Observe Foster Grandparent volunteers as they implement Jumpstart activities & interact with children in preschool classrooms
- Take notes regarding strengths and areas for ongoing growth
- Share feedback with Foster Grandparent volunteers and staff
- Provide suggestions to staff regarding ongoing training content that would benefit the Corps
- (Optional) Train volunteers regarding developmentally appropriate practice and best practices in the field early learning
Experience in the field of early childhood education desired. Mentor teacher or supervisor experience is a plus. This position requires: proof of TB test/immunizations required by licensing, clearance of a Criminal History Check, travel to preschool sites (located in South LA, Boyle Heights and Compton) & travel to Jumpstart’s regional office (in the Pico-Union neighborhood). Frequency and scheduling of coaching visits are flexible within regular business hour, but on average 2-3 times a month. Most opportunities for observation & feedback take place on Mon-Thurs between 8am - 12pm. (Optional) Volunteer training opportunities take place on Fridays, 9am-1pm.
For more information please email CommunityCorpsLA@jstart.org or call (213) 387-5505 and ask for Kayla.
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Strategic Planning
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Literacy / Reading
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Commitment varies, but in general 6-9 hour/month
- Teaching, coaching, or early childhood education experience highly desirable, but not required