Domestic Violence Legal Services Volunteer (training provided)
89 people are interested
YWCA Silicon Valley Linda Haskell Empowerment Center, 375 South Third Street, San Jose, CA 95112
and/or North County Family Justice Center
and/or one or more Santa Clara County Court locations
- Engage in active and respectful listening, and interact with warmth, compassion, and empathy.
- Work in compliance with all legal requirements, organizational, and departmental policies.
- Maintain Counselor/Victim Privilege of Confidentiality as legally required.
- Mandatory: Immediately report to a supervising employee, the Supervisor and/or the Director, any known or suspected instance of child abuse/neglect, elder abuse, and dependent adult abuse.
- Arrange to meet victims/survivors of domestic violence and/or sexual assault at court and accompany them to their Family, Criminal, Civil and/or Juvenile Court appointment.
- Provide victims/survivors with one-on-one support to assist them through the unfamiliar court processes. Provide details, as required, about the court system.
- Assist victims/survivors with exploring their options by providing legal information and connecting to YWCA/community services and personnel. Do not give legal advice; this is not legally permitted.
- As necessary, advocate for victims/survivors with the District Attorney and Court Bailiff.
- Do not speak on behalf of the survivor in the presence of the Judge; this is not legally permitted.
- To provide outreach and crisis-intervention services to individuals who are in motions for Restraining Orders, Child Custody, and Child Support Orders.
- Respond to the Presiding Judge’s request to interview petitioners or respondents in motions to vacate or modify restraining orders who appear to have no support, or seem to be so affected by their crises that they have difficulty functioning in the intimidating court environment.
- Identify and locate appropriate Certified Interpreters as required.
- Assist victims/survivors with exploring their options by providing legal information and information on YWCA/community services/personnel, without giving legal advice.
- If requested, assist Court personnel in administration procedures, for example, take notes, provide resource materials, and transfer files.
IN-OFFICE LEGAL SERVICES:
- Assist victims/survivors with the preparation and filing of Temporary Restraining Order documentation, including Declarations, and the modification of Criminal Protective Orders.
- Assist victims/survivors explore their options by providing legal information, and information on YWCA/community services and personnel, and connect as appropriate. Do not give legal advice; this is not legally permitted.
- Provide immigrant victims/survivors with immigration-related legal services, information, and referrals. Connect with community services and personnel as appropriate.
- Arrange to meet with victims/survivors of domestic violence and/or sexual assault to provide assistance in preparing for court experiences.
- Interest in learning about domestic violence, sexual assault, and empowering victims/survivors to exercise their legal rights.
- Ability to work as a member of a team, be open to feedback, and seek guidance from others.
- Ability to work with/support individuals from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Ability to empower victims/survivors by providing emotional support, resources, tools, and options based on what they are requesting, avoiding words and actions based on personal bias.
- Ability to be non-judgmental, open, honest and calm, and maintain professional boundaries.
- Ability to connect victims/survivors whose needs are outside YWCA’s domestic violence/sexual assault legal services with other YWCA/community services and personnel.
Training & Other Requirements:
- Completion of the CA State-mandated Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Counselor 65hr Training (hosted by the YWCA).
- Clearance on a background check, including DOJ & FBI fingerprinting.
Time Commitment: Minimum of 100 hours of service (post-training).
Volunteer one 3+ hour shift or more each week, on a mutually convenient schedule.
YWCA Silicon Valley is an equal opportunity provider and does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender/gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, immigration status, socio-economic status, familial/marital status, veteran status, medical status, being differently-able, or any other basis prohibited by law.
We'll work with your schedule.
375 South Third StreetSan Jose, CA 95112
- People Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Critical Thinking
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Legal (General)
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Ranges from 2-3 hrs/week to 6+ hrs/week