The #1 requested item by families at social service agencies is Diapers. Safety-net programs like SNAP and WIC do not cover diapers. Come work with HappyBottoms. Life, liberty and diapers for all!
This is an AmeriCorps VISTA position with HappyBottoms. AmeriCorps VISTA members are passionate and committed to their mission to bring individuals and communities out of poverty. Members make a year-long, full-time commitment to serve on a specific project at a nonprofit organization or agency. They focus their efforts to build the organizational, administrative, and/or financial capacity of organizations that fight illiteracy, improve health services, foster economi development, and otherwise assist low-income communities. Members earn a modest living allowance of $11,880, receive limited benefit options and after a year of service are eligible for an education award of $5,775 or post-service stipend. More information is available at www.VISTAcampus.gov.
Program Description: HappyBottoms seeks a motivated, proactive team member to join our passionate, smart and small team as a Fund Development VISTA. Based on 2014 poverty statistics, there are an estimated 23,500 children in the greater Kansas City metro area who need diaper assistance. Our mission is to work with social service agency partners to provide diapers to low-income families while raising awareness of diaper need in our community. We are unique in that we work with over 36 social service agencies in Kansas City and 5 area hospitals to distribute diapers as part of our partner agency’s wrap around services. We are the only non-profit focusing on diaper need in KC and serve children who live in Jackson, Clay, Platte, and Cass counties in Missouri and Wyandotte and Johnson counties in Kansas.
The lack of an adequate supply of diapers impacts the physical, mental and economic well-being of children and their families. You can directly impact the well-being of families in Kansas City, by supporting our mission, in this role.
The Fund Development VISTA will help build HappyBottoms’ capacity and sustainability by:
● creating a process that identifies and tracks new funding sources.
● working to develop and execute a new Monthly Giving Program, a new Fundraising event in 2017 and write Press Releases.
● working to research, plan and engage a HappyBottoms Advisory Council.
The Fund Development VISTA will have the opportunity to work closely with our Development and Communication Specialist, Data Manager and Executive Director (half of our staff - a great way to see and learn the many parts and piece of a non-profit).
HappyBottoms, located in Lenexa KS, is 20 minutes from Downtown Kansas City. Kansas City is a great place to live and be with a low cost of living and the recent boom of fabulous culture, shopping and restaurants. More KC info here: https://www.visitkc.com/how-we- do-kc.
HappyBottoms takes the following holidays: New Year’s Day, President’s Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, July 4 th , Labor Day, Thanksgiving day and the day after, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day.
Required age: 21 years old
Applicants must have reliable mode of transportation and driver’s license.
Minimum desired education level is a college graduate.
The service areas in which the VISTA would serve: Children.
Preferred skills of Applicants: Communications, community organization, computers/technology, fundraising/grant writing, writing/editing, general skills and team work.
Primary Duties, with supervision:
● Create case statement for Grants
● Research funding sources and best practices for tracking funding sources and reporting
● Work with Grant Writer on proposals
● Plan, execute and manage follow up of Fundraising event
● Research Monthly Giving Best Practices and develop plan for implementation, including short and long term goals and plan for tracking success of the program
● Research Advisory Council Best Practices and goals of Advisory Council’s
● Engage staff to identify Advisory Council Members
● Work with Executive Director to develop plan to launch Advisory Council
● Work with Communications Manager to identify press release needs and write press releases for the year
● A college degree is required.
● An independent, self-motivated, creative and resourceful individual with a commitment to our mission.
● Exceptional interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
● Previous nonprofit fundraising/grant writing experience is a plus.
● Ability to work autonomously, make sound decisions, and communicate effectively with team on work progress.
● Strong organizational skills; ability to prepare and maintain detailed records, files and reports on an ongoing basis.
● Flexibility to change direction as needed to meet deadlines.
● Comfortable with computers, proficient with Windows Office Suite and Google Docs.
● Valid driver’s license, good driving record, and personal vehicle.
Please emai your cover letter and resume to email@example.com
- People Skills
- Project Management
- Grant Writing / Research
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 40 hours a week