Our partner organization, Bergin University of Canine Studies, offers degrees in Canine Studies and places service dogs with individuals with physical disabilities and Veterans with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
Students at Bergin University train the dogs and lead the client training when a dog is matched and placed with a client. This December, Bergin University will hold a mock client training in order to prepare students to lead a client training for graduating dogs and clients in the Spring.
Bergin is seeking volunteers to be mock clients during the two-week client training. Volunteer mock clients help to train service dogs, as well as help students improve their instructional skills.
Volunteers will learn concepts behind dog handling and training and participate in hands-on dog training sessions as well as attend public outings with service-dogs-in-training. While volunteer mock clients will not be placed with a service dog at the end of the training, past mock clients report that the training improves their relationships with their pet dogs and improves their understanding and ability to work with their pet dog.
Overview of Requirements
- Attend all classes during mock client training at Bergin University in Rohnert Park, CA
- Classes are held December 5 - 16, Monday - Friday, from approximately 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
- Must be able to drive to/from mock training as well as field trips during the training, or have someone available to drive to all field trips
- Mock clients have the option to take a service dog in training home with them during this time; however, they are not required to
- Should be comfortable around dogs
- Physical and cognitive ability to attend lectures and dog training classes
- An open mind and eager to learn
- Willing to use and learn Bergin University's positive training methods during the training
- No dog training or handling experience required
- Animal Care / Handling
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 16
- Approximately 80 hours
- Must be able to attend all sessions during the two week period