Are you looking for an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of children and the Foster Grandparent volunteers that serve them? Would you like to volunteer your skills to help our program thrive?
Jumpstart is looking for volunteers to support the Los Angeles Community Corps team behind the scenes! Our program engages Foster Grandparent volunteers (part of Senior Corps) who provide preschool children in underserved communities with loving relationships and literacy activities to help them succeed. Foster Grandparents work closely together in teams of 5-7 in the same preschool across an entire school-year. Our Foster Grandparent corps consists of diverse volunteers from different cultures, backgrounds, and generations (ages 55-95). The support of the Jumpstart Foster Grandparent Program Advisory Council leads to stronger programming, happier volunteers, and a greater impact in our community.
Advisory Councilmembers bring a combination of: knowledge of the community, understanding the needs of adults 55+, and a wide variety of experiences in their field (volunteerism, children’s issues, community service, advocacy, etc.) to help Jumpstart meet its administrative & program responsibilities.
Every member contributes something different based on their interest, availability, and expertise - such as:
- Volunteer support (plan recognition events, find guest speakers, assess volunteer needs, etc.)
- Publicity & Community Engagement (identify community events and media opportunities to spotlight program, reach out to elected officials, etc.)
- Recruitment of volunteers (Support the development of a recruitment plan, schedule presentations with community partners, etc.)
- Resources & Capacity Building (connect our program to other agencies & services, request in-kind donations, fundraising, etc.)
- Early childhood education thought partner (provide your personal or professional expertise to benefit the program)
The Advisory Council meets 4-6 times a year on Friday afternoons at the LACC office. Members support side projects in-between meetings as they are able. This is an engaged & active council whose efforts directly support the program rather than a governing body. For more information, please email CommunityCorpsLA@jstart.org or call (213) 387-5505 and ask for Kayla.
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Project Management
- Grant Writing / Research
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment