Do you like the hustle and bustle of a buzzing, positive environmnt where people are making the most of life? Here at the West Philadelphia Senior Community Center (WPSCC) we are looking for a friendly, outgoing, person or (persons) to serve as a volunteer greeter and receptionist. We seeking 1-4 volunteers to cover the hours of 9-1 pm on weekdays.
Responsibilities include registering senior center members for activities, receiving guests and helping to answer phone calls and other general inquiries.
WPSCC is a program through Lutheran Children and Family Service that offers dynamic and rewarding activities and events for older adults, ages 50 and above, who are residents of Philadelphia. WPSCC offers a computer lab with new computers and iPads for instruction and use, a fitness room with physical trainer and various exercise programs, as well as an array of daily classes and activities that enrich the mind, body and spirit.
Impact on Organization
Within the neighborhoods served by this program, approximately 54% of older adults have incomes less than 200% of the federal poverty level, 34% have an impairment related to Instrumental Activities of Daily Living (IADLs), and 38% report physical pain that has lasted for over six months so there is great need for support and resources.Volunteers will help to keep seniors active mentally and physically through socialization and the development of new skills.
All volunteers will receive on-site training with the site coordinator.
- Being outgoing, personable, and patient. Ability to work well with others. Previous experience working with senior populations a plus
- Comfortable with working with people from diverse backgrounds
Volunteers will gain essential skills and experience necessary for working in gerontology, education, non-profit, and human service sectors. Volunteers are also likely to gain a sense of personal fulfillment from the positive impact and strong relationships they will form with the seniors.
PA Criminal Background Check is required
- Office Reception
- Elder care
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- at least one day a week from 9am - 1pm
- Village at Penn State - Atrium,...
- LCFS West Philadelphia Senior...
- Hearth at Drexel-Indian Cultural...
- Barista for our new Memory Cafe!
- Paul's Run - Activity Companion...
- Liberty Hospice Student Volunteer
- LCS - Lutheran Disaster Response...
- Artman- Front Desk Greeter
- Liberty Hospice Companion...
- Hearth at Drexel - Men's Club...
- Liberty Hospice Music Volunteer
- Hearth at Drexel - Memory...