The volunteer will assist instructors in rehabilitation, pre-vocational and recreational programming for teenagers who are blind or visually impaired. They will be required to monitor the youth as they move between classes and provide support on field trips. This teaching assistant will primarily assist a student in the people mover - a light weight wheelchair - with transitioning between classes, organizing and the like. The ideal candidate will be male to assist with bathroom orientation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* Comfortable pushing a people mover - a light wheelchair.
* Escorting the student to classes, the restroom etc.
* Assist with transfers to chair.
* Assist instructors in classes such as cooking, physical education and art.
* Guide students as needed to classes within the building or on field trips.
* Assist instructors and student by bringing enthusiasm to groups.
* Must have a positive helpful attitude that will allow this student to harness independence with the assistance of a travel guide.
* Able to handle confidential information.
* Able to arrive on time and be prepared daily.
* Flexibility with task requests.
* Interest in working with students with disabilities preferred.
* Positive attitude and enthusiasm is a must!
* Must be sighted guide trained.
* Bilingual Spanish a plus!
* Must be able to stand for periods of time if required.
Details of the Opportunity: The volunteer will be instructed by each staff on how best to help the student participate in program activities.
To volunteer, or for more information about this opportunity respond to this e-mail or call Rosie Lopez at (646) 874-8682. Please include a telephone number for follow up!
- Youth Services
- Children Medical Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- November to June