As the fastest growing horse rescue in the state of Colorado, Drifters Hearts of Hope keeps approximately 37 rescued horses at a time at our headquarters--King of Hearts Ranch in Franktown, CO. Horses require consistent exercise, and rescue horses need to be evaluated properly to ensure that they are placed in the appropriate type of adoption home.
We are seeking positive, friendly, and experienced riders in both Western and English disciplines to volunteer once per week by exercising and working horses. Currently, we would like to find 2 more English riders and 4 more Western riders as the majority of horses we work with have a western background.
Riders should be available any one of the following days/times:
- Mondays - 5:30 p.m. - 7 p.m.
- Fridays - 5:30 p.m. - 7 p.m.
- Saturdays - times vary depending on other scheduled activities
- Sundays - times vary depending on other scheduled activities
The ideal volunteers will be respectful, professional and approachable, and will have a passion for serving the community, as well as for helping animals. Riders should have a minimum of 10 years experience with horses, riding and horse handling. Riders should be patient and understanding of various horse temperments and levels of training. Riders will need to be assertive and confident, and able to follow directions.
Riders will be proficient and experienced in the following areas:
- Walk, trot, canter/loping the horse in both directions
- Ability to have horse change gaits on command
- Ability to control the horse going forward and at a turn in all gaits
- Ability to ask the horse to pick up correct leads
- Ability to sit quietly in the saddle and use "soft hands" on the reins
- Confidence and ability to work with green horses
- Ability to lunge horse on line
- Ability to guide horse through obstacles or patterns
- Ability to catch, halter, lead, groom, and saddle a horse
Opportunity offers indoor/outdoor riding arenas, 350 acres of beautiful scenery in Franktown, CO, and a positive environment. All horse equipment is provided. Please remember these are NOT school horses; they come from all backgrounds and levels of training and for everyone's safety we must insist on EXPERIENCED riders only.
Must be 18 years of age or older. New volunteer orientation required. Interested parties should submit video(s) demonstrating your riding skills to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Animal Care / Handling
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Weekly or Biweekly, 2 hours each visit
- Please submit video demonstrating riding skills to email@example.com