As a horse rescue, Drifters Hearts of Hope keeps approximately 37 horses at a time at our headquarters--King of Hearts Ranch. Horses require consistent exercise, and rescue horses need to be evaluated properly to ensure that they are placed in the appropriate type of adoption home.
We are seeking positive, friendly, and experienced riders in both English and Western disciplines to volunteer once per week by exercising and working horses.
Riders should be available any one of the following days/times:
- Mondays - 5:30 p.m. - 7 p.m.
- Fridays - 5:30 p.m. - 7 p.m.
- Saturdays - times vary depending on other scheduled activities
- Sundays - times vary depending on other scheduled activities
The ideal volunteers will be respectful, professional and approachable, and will have a passion for serving the community, as well as for helping animals. Riders should have a minimum of 10 years experience with horses, riding and horse handling. Riders should be patient and understanding of various horse temperments and levels of training. Riders will need to be assertive and confident, and able to follow directions.
Riders will be proficient and experienced in the following areas:
- Walk, trot, canter/loping the horse in both directions
- Ability to have horse change gaits on command
- Ability to control the horse going forward and at a turn in all gaits
- Ability to ask the horse to pick up correct leads
- Ability to sit quietly in the saddle and use "soft hands" on the reins
- Confidence and ability to work with green horses
- Ability to lunge horse on line
- Ability to guide horse through obstacles or patterns
- Ability to catch, halter, lead, groom, and saddle a horse
Opportunity offers indoor/outdoor riding arenas, 350 acres of beautiful scenery in Franktown, CO, and a positive environment. All horse equipment is provided.
Must be 18 years of age or older. New volunteer orientation required.
- Animal Care / Handling
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Weekly or Biweekly, 2 hours each visit