Our Family Resource Center's T.R.U.E Mentor Program is a new initiative launching in September 2017!
T.R.U.E Mentor Program is actively seeking volunteer mentors to provide group mentoring to boys and young men who are at-risk and do not have a father figure present in their lives. Our Program provides social support for boys and young men ages 6 to 13 through mentoring, by helping our mentees increase their motivation and confidence, set and achieve new goals, give direction to their future career choices while expanding their network, enabling them to unlock their potential and gain leadership roles. T.R.U.E serves as the foundation for our boys and young men to build their futures through healthy positive relationships. Mentors will meet with a mentee for two hours a month at Centerboard's Vision Space.
WHEN: Program starts in September till June.
WHO: Mentees (Boys & young men ages 6-13) Mentors must be at least 18 years of age.
WHERE : Two hours sited based at Centerboard
Responsibilities of being a Mentor :
- Take the lead in supporting a young person through an ongoing, one-to-one and group relationships
- Serve as a positive role model and friend
- Build the relationship by planning and participating in activities together
- Strive for mutual respect
- Build self-esteem and motivation
- Help set goals and work toward accomplishing them
- Attend an initial two-hour training session and optional training sessions twice during each year
- Attend optional mentor/mentee group events, mentor support groups, and program recognition events
As a mentor for the T.R.U.E Mentor Program, you will have the unique opportunity to:
* Learn new skills through hands-on experience working with youth
* Experience gratification watching their mentee grow and develop
* Establish and enhance one's career, and enriching one's personal life
* Receive professional development, group support, and access to events
* Additional training and coaching provided
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hours a month
- weekly check-ins