Join a dynamic group of individuals motivated by the need to protect our natural world with particular emphasis on environmental conservation and education. Eastside Audubon connects people with nature through bird walks and field trips, conservation activities and a wide variety of classes for both children and adults. Volunteers work to protect wildlife and their habitats through our Conservation Committee. Our Education Committee teaches children and adults about birds and wildlife, and their value in the community. Our members enjoy studying our local flora and fauna through monthly programs and weekly field trips. Established in 1981 as a Chapter of National Audubon, Eastside Audubon has grown to 1,200+ strong and serves the urban and rural communities east of Lake Washington.
The Newsletter Editor Chair works with the General Manager, the Communications Team, the Board of Directors and volunteers, and reports directly to the Communications Chair. We are prepared to train the right candidate for this position, and ask for a 2- year commitment for training for this position. We encourage our leaders to be creative in their role, to involve other volunteers and the community in their work, and to develop strategies and procedures to make their job easier.
The Newsletter Editor for our online edition is responsible for producing 6-7 editions a year of our newsletter - the Corvid Crier . The Corvid Crier is our frontline communication with our members. It must represent our brand, communicate our mission, and inspire members, volunteers, and the community to take action to keep the birds singing. Online Corvid Criers are currently produced for the months of: February, March, May, June, September, and November, with a 'lite’ holiday edition in December.
We are happy to welcome professionals, retirees, or students pursuing a career in publishing or related field - the most important criteria is a passion to make a difference for the community.
- 1-3 years’ experience with editing, proofreading, or writing, or a mix of education and experience;
- Experience in social media distribution and word processing software; graphic design experience a plus;
- Prior experience in working with volunteers a plus, but not required;
- A great attitude and a desire to help the Chapter succeed.
- Ability to meet strict deadlines and plan ahead;
- Great computer skills - experience in Plone, Constant Contact, and Flickr a plus, but training is available;
- Willingness to use editorial judgement in article selection to support chapter mission;
- Great proofreader, known for attention to detail;
- Ability to select appropriate photos from our database to accompany articles as needed;
- Comfortable with taking the imitative in asking other volunteers to meet deadlines.
Duties may include:
1. Solicit requests for submission to chapter leaders on a timely basis;
2. Maintain calendar of planned articles, using prior examples, Chapter Calendar, and with the direction of the Staff, Communications Chair, and President - to plan content and identify volunteers to provide content;
3. Communicate regularly with communications team, Communications Chair, Webmaster, and staff to ensure appropriate articles are passed on to publicity and social media volunteers, and leaders are aware of status, progress, and availability of online copy;
4. Proofread articles, select photos, including photography credits, and post completed articles to our website with appropriate tags;
5. Using existing template, build newsletter copy in Constant Contact - copy consists of photo, headline, 1-2 lines of each article, and links to our website;
6. Create PDF template of chapter activities (Digest) for each issue to be used by chapter for marketing purposes;
7. Submit proof of online newsletter for final approval by Chair, President, and Staff;
8. Initiate Constant Contact mailing on or by the 4 th Thursday of the month prior to each issue.
- Copy Writing / Copy Editing
- Social Media / Blogging
- Public Relations
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 21