Objective: Chaperone a participant of one of our Adult Foster Care (AFC) homes on a Snowshoe event at Fort Snelling State Park.
- You will pick up the participant from their AFC, take them to Fort Snelling State Park, participate in the snowshoeing event, and then take them home when they’re done.
- An introductory meeting will take place at the AFC, prior to the outing, so the participant may meet you ahead of time. Our Volunteer Coordinator will let you know if the participant wants to go on the outing.
- We ask that you call the participant the day of the outing to remind/confirm that you’re meeting that day and then later confirm the activity with the Volunteer Coordinator after it has been accomplished. If you do not receive confirmation of the outing from the participant, you may assume it is not on for that day.
Qualifications: Are you a caring individual aged 18+, with a clean criminal record, who would like to spend some time at a State Park with someone who lives with a mental diagnosis? You will need to pass background checks and orientation/training which CIP will provide and perform.
Training & Preparation for the job: You will go through training & orientation at CIP. You will be trained in all aspects needed for your volunteer opportunity, especially Vulnerable Adult and HIPAA training. Background/driving record checks and training usually takes 1.5 - 2 hours.
Commitment: This is a one-time commitment activity. If you and the participant enjoy the activity and want to do another, you may work with the Volunteer Coordinator to schedule more activities. It is our hope that if a strong relationship develops it might continue beyond that timeframe. However, if it was not a good match to begin with, a change may be made.
- Outdoor Recreation
- Snow Sports
- People Skills
- Mental Health
- Problem Solving
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hr training/bkgrnd chks; 3 hrs activity
- Como Conservatory Chaperone
- Arboretum Tree House Exhibit...
- MN Science Museum Chaperone - AFC
- Caponi Art Park Chaperone
- Church Ride Chaperone
- State Park Chaperone
- MN Arboretum Chaperone
- Minnehaha Falls Hike Chaperone
- ASL Interpreter
- Art in Bloom/MIA Chaperone
- Como Zoo Chaperone
- AFC Gardening Chaperone