Objective: Assist and support a participant of one of our Adult Foster Care (AFC) homes with their writing life.
- You will pick our participant up from their AFC and take them to a library, coffee shop, or mutually agreed upon space to connect over the craft of writing.
- An introductory meeting will take place at the AFC, prior to the outing, so the participant may meet you ahead of time. Our Volunteer Coordinator will let you know if the participant agrees to the activity.
- We ask that you call the participant the day of the outing to remind/confirm that you’re meeting that day. We also ask you later confirm the outing details with the Volunteer Coordinator after it has been accomplished. If you do not receive confirmation of the outing from the participant, you may assume it is not on for that day.
Qualifications: Are you a caring individual aged 18+, with a clean criminal record, who would like to spend some time connecting about writing with someone who lives with a mental diagnosis? You will need to pass background checks and orientation/training which CIP will provide and perform.
Training & Preparation for the job: You will go through training & orientation at CIP. You will be trained in all aspects needed for your volunteer opportunity, especially Vulnerable Adult and HIPAA training. Background/driving record checks and training usually takes 1.5 - 2 hours.
Commitment: This is an activity with a flexible time commitment. The date and time will be worked out with you and the Volunteer Coordinator. CIP is only asking for a two - three time commitment and then we hope it will build into something you will want to do regularly. All of our volunteers, to date, have had fun and decided to make this program a positive part of their lives. It is our hope that a strong relationship might develop and continue for as long as you and the resident desire.
- People Skills
- Mental Health
- Relationship Building
- Patient Care
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- prep: 2 hours; activity: 2-3 hours
- prep, above, means training and background checks performed
- MN Science Museum Chaperone - AFC
- Administrative Assistant
- Bell Museum Chaperone
- ASL Interpreter
- Help Celebrate Community at our...
- Writing Coach/Mentor
- AFC Gardening Chaperone
- Mall Walking Chaperone
- Como Conservatory Chaperone
- Church Ride Chaperone
- State Park Chaperone
- State Park Chaperone
- Como Zoo Chaperone
- Chess Chaperone