Green Iowa is partnering with the Polk County Conservation Department in 2017 for a second year of maintaining Easter Lake Park and restoring its Woodland properties. Activities include invasive species removal, litter removal, and trail maintenance (stay tuned for tree plantings!); this is a fantastic opportunity to spend some time outdoors and positively contribute to our community's greenspace.
- Identifying invasive plants for removal after a brief orientation
- Manual removal of invasive plants with tools such as loppers and handsaws
- Application of pre-diluted, ready to use herbicide (only by individuals 18 or older)
- Transporting removed plants to an accessible location for park managers to appropriately address
- Removal of trash around Easter Lake
- Enjoying a morning or afternoon in a natural area while learning about and positively impacting a local ecosystem!
Although we welcome groups and family participation, individuals less than 16 years of age must be accompanied by a parent/guardian.
We will be engaging in ongoing maintenance and can accomodate individuals and groups. Let us facilitate your volunteer days! Email us at any time during the year at GreenIowadm.email@example.com or ask for Elizabeth at 515-471-8686 ext. 104 with any inquiries.
- Outdoor Recreation
- Habitat Restoration
- Environmental Education
- Environmental Science
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 16
- A few hours, a whole day - let us know what works!
- Children welcome if accompanied by an adult. Closed toed shoes a must, full coverage suggested.