YWCA Yonkers is dedicated to eliminating racism, empowering women and promoting peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all.
The board of directors, both as individuals and as a group, ensures that:
- policies remain fully aligned with the organization’s stated charitable purpose;
- assets are ably managed and steadily increased, including not only physical property and financial assets, but also the organization’s reputation, relationships, executive director capabilities and each other’s capabilities on the board;
- ethical and overall leadership and stability standards are upheld;
- and that all legal and agreement obligations are met.
MISSION FULFILLMENT, PLANNING and EVALUATION
- Determine the organization’s strategic direction, ensuring alignment with the YWCA mission, service needs and fiscal conditions.
- Track progress on specific board and organizational goals and objectives.
- Regularly evaluate board commitments, progress, functioning and efforts.
- Carry out advocacy efforts to support YWCA mission aims.
- Ensure that YWCA USA membership requirements are met on an ongoing basis.
Approve policies and adopt ethical practices that ensure full infusion of the YWCA mission, legal compliance, fair treatment, and cost-effective operations of the organization.
- Ensure solvency and the ongoing financial health of the organization.
- Ensure that adequate financial planning processes and controls are consistently applied.
- Fully review and approve an organizational budget.
- Make financial adjustments as necessary to ensure solvency.
- Sustain knowledge on an ongoing basis of the organization’s fiscal status and its implications and take action required to ensure fiscal strength.
- Secure an annual audit and ensure record keeping and reporting compliance, and justifiable program/management & general and fundraising expense levels.
- Approve major contracts.
- Ensure the protection of YWCA Yonkers assets by securing ample insurance.
- Support YWCA Yonkers efforts throughout the community, increasing understanding of the mission and impacts.
- Actively participate in the fundraising process through meaningful individual financial support and actively seeking the financial support of others.
STAFFING AND STAFF RELATIONSHIPS
- Hire, set the compensation for, support, and regularly evaluate the performance of the executive director/CEO.
- Sustain a well-working and productive relationship between the board of directors and chief executive.
- Maintain open and honest communications with the executive director/CEO that reflect a clear understanding of the roles and responsibilities of each position.
- Sustain the ability to express and address concerns in a timely manner.
BOARD DEVELOPMENT and SUCCESSION PLANNING
- Organize and orient the board in alignment with the YWCA mission and goals and sustain a system of board development.
- Intentionally recruit board members with ample skills, knowledge, experience and diversity to match the YWCA mission and goals.
- Actively recruit a diverse board that represents the Yonkers community, including women of color and women under the age of 30, though never to the exclusion of other females in support of the YWCA mission.
- Human Resources Legal Compliance
- Strategic Planning
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 10 board mtngs per yr, committee mtngs, & events