The Communications Story-Gathering Assistant Intern will assist Planned Parenthood’s Communications Team with their story-gathering process that identifies, collects, tracks, and then develops compelling stories about Planned Parenthood’s key partners and clients to be used in narratives about the organization’s important work.
* Work with the Communications Team to maintain story-gathering process which includes a formalized, established system for capturing stories and storing them.
* Engage other PPMNS departments (Clinical Operations, Education & Outreach, Public Affairs, Volunteer Program, etc.) to strategize about potential story-gathering and story-sharing opportunities.
* Identify and interview patients, education participants, providers and others who are willing to share a story. Storylines could include:
o Affordable Care Act (PP patient who has/will benefit from the ACA)
o Birth control
o Breast health
o Cervical health
o Spanish language
o Health care access in Greater Minnesota, rural communities, or underserved areas
o General preventative care
o Aspiration stories: "PP helped me reach my goals by planning for my family" etc.
o Life-saving abortion
o Outreach programs, e.g. Teen Council, PASE, ROTO
o Sexuality education
o Culturally diverse patient and education stories
* Develop and write up each story, gathering all the necessary approvals from the interviewee.
* Utilize PPMNS video and photo equipment in order to capture stories and images digitally.
* Maintain catalog of PPMNS’ stories, along with any digital files.
* Assist Communications Team to inform PPMNS staff about newly gathered stories and potential story-sharing opportunities, and energize PPMNS staff about being involved in the story-gathering process themselves.
* Maintain and improve story-gathering "kit" that can be shared with staff to help them gather stories "on the spot."
* Identify opportunities for inclusion of personal narratives into communications, media relations, and other ongoing PPMNS operations, and facilitate their integration.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- semester commitment