Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Mid Michigan Community Action Agency’s VITA programming! VITA prepares tax returns, for free, for seniors, low-income and moderate-income households. I believe this program offers incredible valuable to our community by bringing thousands of dollars back into our area to support families and the local economy. We rely on a team of dedicated and passionate volunteers to provide this service.
Below you will find an overview of the program, application process, and training process. Please note that previous tax preparation experience is not required. We provide all training, free of charge, to prepare our volunteers.
I hope you will consider sharing your time and energy with this worthwhile program. This is truly a unique opportunity to make a positive impact both on the people you serve, and our greater community!
MMCAA Volunteer Coordinator
General Volunteering & Program Info:
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistants (VITA) serves low and moderate income households, and senior citizens by providing free tax preparation services.
- Last year, MMCAA’s VITA Volunteers prepared hundreds of returns, and brought thousands of dollars back into Clare and Gladwin County!
- Clare County-377 State Income Returns filed for $94,582 in refunds, $4,573 EITC, $22,046 in Home Heating Credit, $71,820 in property tax credit. 228 Federal Income Returns filed for $228,126 in refunds, $78,165 in EITC, $4,471 in Child Tax Credit
- Gladwin County 113 State Income returns filed for $29,854 in refunds, $1,868 in EITC, $10,297 in Home Heating Credit, $22,931 in homestead property tax credit. 88 Federal income returns filed for $57,708 in refunds, $25,914 in EITC, $1,304 in child tax credit
- Anyone interested in volunteering should contact Jennifer Raymond, MMCAA Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com (989) 386-3806 ext. 1024 to request a copy of the MMCAA volunteer application
- Volunteers can request mileage reimbursement for travel to VITA training and worksites. Reimbursement is set at 51 cents/mile.
- Volunteers select their own schedule/hours.
- We have a "rotating" clinic that serves 4 different sites, each for one day a week. (One site on Monday, a different site Tues, etc. Dates are listed below)
- Sites are open from 9a-4p.
- Although scheduling is flexible, we would encourage volunteers to plan on volunteering at least a few hours a week. We ask this as it seems to facilitate volunteers with the tax prep learning curve, and it allows us to provide more consistent service to our customers.
Training Method & Schedule:
- Training is available both in-person and online via the IRS "Link and Learn" platform. Most of our VITA volunteers complete training by utilizing both options.
- In person training is Jan 17 th-19 th, 2017 from 9a-4p at MMCAA’s main office in Farwell. Volunteers are not required to attend the in-person training, as the online option provides the same curriculum. However, we recommend that volunteers join us for as much of the in-person training as their schedule allows, as they have the opportunity to also learn from the experience of our veteran VITA preparers (some of whom have been volunteering in this project for over 20 years!).
- Volunteers can choose to complete training for basic tax prep, or can opt to train for more complicated tax prep scenarios.
Site & Scheduling Info:
- Services are provided in Clare and Gladwin Counties
- Mileage reimbursement is provided to volunteers at the rate of .51/mile
- Each site is open one day/week.
Currently scheduled sites & dates:
- MMCAA Gladwin Office: Mondays (Jan 30, Feb 6, 13, 27, March 6, 13, 20, 27, April 3, 10) Closed President’s day
- MMCAA Farwell Office: Tuesdays (Jan 31, Feb 7, 14, 21, 28, March 7, 14, 21, 28, April 4, 11)
- Michigan Works Harrison: Wednesdays (Feb 1, 8, 15, 22, March 1, 8, 15, 22, 29, April 5, 12)
- United Way Clare: Thursdays (Feb 2, 9, 16, 23, March 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, April 6, 13)
- Basic Computer Skills
- ETC / Tax Assistance
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Flexible scheduling, min 4 hours/weekly
- IRS Training must be completed