As a Family Mentor, you (and your family) will be matched with a refugee family to provide them basic instruction of American living, help orient them to the Nashville community, and develop a trusting relationship. Understanding "the basics" is an indispensable component of successful resettlement and can go a long way toward making families feel safer, happier, and more confident in their new home.
This role is perfect for volunteers who like to serve autonomously and direct their own projects and goals. Though volunteers are welcome individually, this is also an excellent opportunity to engage your family in welcoming refugees to the community. For example, if you have teen-aged children, we can match you with a family that also has children of a similar age. Together with our clients, you can build community, learn about other cultures, and develop a new sense of what it means to be an American and a Nashvillian.
We ask for at least 1 hour a week, with an initial 6 month commitment. The hours are flexible and are determined by the volunteer’s schedule.
For more information, contact Emily at firstname.lastname@example.org or 615-259-3567, ext. 1199.
Please see the full position description here: http://www.cctenn.org/volunteeropportunitydetails.cfm?eid=16102613425896814
- Adult Education
- People Skills
- Life Coaching
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- 1 hour per week, with an inital 6 month commitment
- Resume Reviewer for Refugees
- Resume Review Volunteer for...
- Move In Volunteer
- Group Volunteer Opportunity
- Public Transit Orientation
- American Friend for a Refugee...
- In Home English Tutor
- After-School Youth Tutor
- Transportation Volunteer
- Temporary Office Assistant
- "Adopt a Grandparent" -- Refugee...
- Resettlement Case Assistant
- Help with Refugee Elders Program
- Refugee Family Mentor
- Housing and Hospitality Volunteer
- Mock Interview Conductor
- Refugee Elders Program Assistant
- Refugee Youth Mentor