50 Bikes for 50 Kids 2017
WhenMon Jan 16, 2017, 07:30 AM - 03:30 PM
Where3200 North Park DriveSacramento, CA 95835
On Monday, January 16, 2017, Martin Luther King Jr. Day and the National Day of Service, community volunteers will join forces in North Natomas to help 50 kids transform bike parts into 50 ready-to-ride bicycles.
50 Bikes for 50 Kids is a community service event that matches 50 well-deserving youth with teams of volunteers to assemble a bike for each child on the team. These "volunteer engineers" hail from local community organizations and businesses, and range from bike enthusiasts to mechanical novices. Prior to the event, volunteers attend a class taught by professional bicycle mechanics in order to learn how to construct a bike. The mentors pass this knowledge onto the youngsters who then help assemble the bike and get valuable hands-on experience on teamwork, building and the construction of a bicycle.
United, the volunteers are able to give local youth the gift of healthy recreation that encourages both sustainable transportation and a better future -- for the young recipients and the community as a whole.
50 Bikes for 50 Kids is now recruiting for the following volunteer roles:
- Bike Builder: Assist bike recipients with the assembly of their bicycles, act as a mentor, and ensure safety at all times. Knowledge in bike mechanics is helpful but not necessary. This role works directly with the youth to build the bicycle. Teams of 2-3 people are matched with each bike recipient. - 2 ½ hour time commitment.
- Bike Mechanic: Assist bike building teams throughout the assembly process. Knowledge in bike mechanics is necessary. This role troubleshoots any difficulties the teams my come across, oversees 3 team building stations, may provide tools if able and provides insight and tips to the teams. - 7 hour time commitment, lunch provided
- Registration & Finish Area Volunteer: Orient bike recipients and bike builders before and after their bike build. This is will include distributing t-shirts, providing helmet fittings, taking pictures, and more. Volunteers will be trained. - 4 hour time commitment.
- General Event Support: Assist with set-up, clean-up and other varied tasks. - Varied time commitments.
- Skills Course Volunteer: Assist with outdoor skills course for bike recipients. Knowledge and comfort in bike riding necessary. Lunch included. - 6 hour time commitment
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment