Volunteer Tutors assist the mission of Boys and Girls Haven by helping our youth achieve their highest potential in the classroom. Specifically, volunteers will assist in our on-campus school.
- Work one-on-one with individual students to complete assignments in qualified academic areas.
- Act as an additional resource to the student and teacher.
- On occasion and as agreed to by the volunteer, tutors may assist with library duties and light administrative work.
- Classroom Sponsor: Tutors have the option of assisting as a Classroom Sponsor as well. These volunteers will assist teachers by planning special activities and sessions (holidays, thematic, etc.) inside of the classroom.
Boys and Girls Haven School is a JCPS affiliated alternative school. Our students are made up of foster youth - many of whom have been abused and/or neglected - who are in need of more personalized education services than are generally avialable in the public school system.
- Child Development
- Literacy / Reading
- Math / Science Instruction
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- One semester commitment, one hour per week
- At leas two years of college or enrollment in college program required.