Would you like to use wood, metal and plastic to prototype exhibits that visitors love to use? This position is similar to the "Exhibit Fabricator and Finisher," except we would be asking you to prototype and design exhibit components, in addition to fabricating the final products. This position requires more independence and more of a time commitment.
Help with exhibit fabrication and finishing (see "Exhibit Fabricator and Finisher" position for more detail)
Create simple machines and mechanisms that meet an extensive set of design criteria
Design and fabricate components that assist with exhibit shop operation and other Science Center operations
Use feedback from Science Center staff to refine designs
Required Skills: In addition to the skills required for the "Exhibit Fabricator and Finisher" this position also requires:
Ability to design and communicate ideas via 2D drawings or 3D models to museum staff
Experience with 3-axis mill and metal lathe helpful but not necessary
Training: Shop orientation provided by Exhibits Fabrications. There will be no shop tool safety training. Volunteers must be well versed in shop tool safety and care.
Schedule: Must be able to volunteer at least 8 hours a week on an on-going basis.
Portfolio: In addition to the Volunteer Application Form, please include a portfolio of your work, or be prepared to show a portfolio when you interview with us.
Please visit marylandsciencecenter.org for further information and application forms!
- Exhibition Arts
- Interior / Exterior Design
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- At least 8 hours per week on an on-going basis
- Must be well versed in shop tool safety and care
- Bus Greeter
- IMAX Theater Usher: Volunteer...
- Kids Room Educational Materials...
- Exhibits Assistants: Great...
- Kids Room Educator: Teach, learn...
- Planetarium eBay Specialist
- SciLab Assistant: Help young...
- Development Assistant
- Lobby Ambassador
- Exhibit Fabricator and Finisher:...
- Archives Assistant: Photograph...
- Exhibit Facilitators: Assist MSC...
- Ticket Agent
- Camp-In Volunteer
- Exhibits Prototyper and Fabricator
- Science Educators! Inspire the...
- Science Store Cashier
- Group Mailings: Help MSC stay...
- Observatory Assistant:Share your...
- Traveling Science Media Assistant