Required Skills & Knowledge:
- Position advantageous to students majoring in: Natural Resource Management, Environmental Sciences, Animal Science, Biology, or other related science major. Other majors will be considered.
- Detail oriented, ability to take direction and complete tasks;
- Able to work both independently and cooperatively in a team with staff, interns, and volunteers;
- Must be self-motivated and eager to work and learn;
- Ability to endure potentially variable factors associated with outdoor work;
- Physically capable of hiking several miles, over uneven terrain, and carry 15- 20lbs. of equipment;
- Enthusiasm for natural and historic preservation.
- A valid driver’s license and own transportation to and from various locations around the county and toAldieMansionin Doylestown is required.
- Experience using Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and GPS is a plus.
Anticipated Activities: The responsibilities of the Conservation Steward Intern could include, but are not limited to:
- Assist Heritage Conservancy staff with various management activities on properties throughout Bucks County such as mowing grass near property entries, boundary monitoring and habitat restoration.
- Maintain and construct trails for recreational enjoyment of community;
- Remove invasive plants using physical and mechanical methods while preserving native plants;
- Occasionally interact with adjacent property owners;
- Survey the flora and fauna as needed on properties;
- Monitor and occasionally maintain various wildlife habitats both artificial (i.e. nest-boxes) and natural (i.e. vernal pools);
- Maintain necessary equipment for property management.
- Report completed activities and total work hours back to Heritage Conservancy Volunteer Coordinator and intern supervisor at the end of each month.
- Represent yourself in a professional and respectful manner throughout the internship as you are representing Heritage Conservancy.
Time Commitment: Approximately 6 to 8 hours per week. (Ideally 1 full day per week, but can consider 2 half days)
Length of Appointment: Negotiable-positions available approximately late January through late April (about 10 weeks). Continuation of internship is dependent upon satisfactory progress of work.
Minimum Age Requirement: College Level.
How to Apply:Submit cover letter and resume to Shannon Fredebaugh at firstname.lastname@example.org by December 1st. Interviews will take place the first two weeks of December.
- Outdoor Recreation
- People Skills
- Habitat Restoration
- Environmental Science
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1 day per week but can consider 2 half days
- Must be able to lift heavy items, walk on uneven terrain and tolerate variable outdoor conditions