Future Center Support
3 people are interested
MISSION : The Denver Scholarship Foundation inspires and empowers Denver Public Schools’ students to enroll in and graduate from post-secondary institutions of higher education, by providing the tools, knowledge, and financial resources essential for success.
We believe every student deserves the chance to earn a college degree
We believe in continuous improvement
We keep our promise to students, donors, volunteers, and partners
We have created a model of success that we share nationally
We believe in lifelong learning
We cannot accomplish our goals without the community
TITLE OF POSITION : DSF Future Center Volunteer
PURPOSE OF JOB : To support the mission of the Denver Scholarship Foundation by supporting the DSF College Advisor at the assigned high school’s Future Center. Volunteers are vital to the organization in order to maintain a high level of service to students. Volunteers support College Advisors through performing a multitude of tasks and working directly with students.
DUTIES MAY INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO :
- Aid in school pass creation and running
- Organize student files
- Answer telephones and direct calls
- Assist with data tracking and data entry
- Conduct outreach to students and parents for events and workshops
- Help students navigate college websites and www.collegeincolorado.org
- Help chaperone college visits
- Help guide students through college search and admissions process
- Assist with college interview preparation
- Edit personal statements, college essays, and resumes
- Assist with completing financial aid (FAFSA) forms and FAFSA verification
- Create unique ways to incentivize and celebrate students
- Research scholarships for limited-income and other diverse student factors]
- Submit transcripts, fee waivers, and letters of recommendation
- Assist students in registering for the SAT and/or ACT
- Inspire and facilitate goal setting for students
- Communicate regularly with assigned supervisor
- Submit volunteer timesheet
COMMITMENT REQUIRED : A minimum commitment of two hours per visit is requested, and a weekly or biweekly commitment is preferred throughout the school year. We ask volunteers to commit to 6 months of volunteerism, as students develop rapport with volunteers. Volunteer opportunities are available Monday - Friday, roughly 8:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. during the school year (August-May). Schedule will be determined by you and your supervisor.
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Comfortable with navigating computer systems
- Flexible to changing and sometimes hectic environments
- Experience working with any of the following: limited income students; first generation students; students of color; students from varied communities and backgrounds.
- Reliable, responsible and punctual
- Able to work independently as well as in a group environment
- Able to accept supervision as well as server as a self-starter
- Able to perform repetitive tasks
- Detail oriented and organized
ORIENTATION AND TRAINING PROVIDED : Volunteer orientations are required as an overview and first step for DSF Volunteers. College Advisors will provide training for specific tasks pertinent to the operations of the Future Center. A background check is required to fulfill this role. This is not a mentorship position.
LOCATION OF JOB : Various High Schools in Denver, Colorado.
CONTACT : Caryn Oppenheim, Volunteer Manager, 303.640.6567 or firstname.lastname@example.org
We'll work with your schedule.
Area High SchoolsDenver, CO 80218
- Data Entry
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Youth Services
- General Education
- Administrative Support
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hours per week or biweekly for 6+ months
- All volunteers are required to move through volunteer on-boarding process which includes an application, phone screening, background check, and orientation.