SUMMER TRAINING STARTS END OF APRIL! SUMMER SESSION STARTS EARLY JUNE FOR 8 WEEKS
WHAT IS REACH & RISE? WHY WAS THIS PROGRAM CREATED?
- Reach & Rise is a free, group mentoring program of the YMCA, established to provide young people in our community with positive and peer relationships.
- 2 adult mentors are matched with a group of 6 youth
- The group will meet once a week for 2 hours.
- The program cycle runs for 8 weeks during the summer and 16 weeks during the fall and spring.
- Mentors are meant to serve as role models, friends, and confidants. They’re another source of support for your child. They are not meant to take the role of a parent, babysitter, or financier.
HOW ARE MENTORS SCREENED BEFORE BEING MATCHED WITH MY CHILD?
- Mentors fill out a volunteer application and are screened by the Program Director and Y policies.
- Mentors complete 15+ hours of mentor training
- Mentors will have passed a background security screening and thorough reference checks.
ONCE YOU ARE MATCHED WITH A GROUP, HERE'S WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT.
- Group mentors will meet with their mentee group every week for 2 hours at an assigned site. This may be at a Y facilities, a school, community center, etc.
- Parent’s responsibility to provide transportation to and from the group.
- Typical times to meet are weekday evenings or the weekend during the day.
- You should expect consistency from the mentors (e.g. meeting should be held at a consistent site, day and time). If for some reason they are unable to make a meeting, the mentor should call in advance and let you and your child know.
WHAT ARE SOME ACTIVITIES THAT MENTORS DO WITH THEIR MENTEES?
- Mentors will utilize a group mentoring handbook compiled by Reach and Rise to engage youth in discussions and activities relevant to each mentee’s daily life.
- Here are some sample activities that your child may do with his or her mentor:
- Go to the YMCA to play sports or swim
- Practice social skills through role play and other fun games
- Community service project
- Many mentors try to introduce their mentees to new activities to help them grow and learn about themselves and their community.
- Child Development
- Crisis Intervention
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 23
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hours of group mentoring for 16 weeks
- Mentor applications are required to do a background check, interview, and a FREE 15 hour training!