The food pantry volunteers work along our diverse volunteer team in a dynamic environment to help stock our food pantry and get it ready for food distribution on Fridays. We are particularly looking for volunteers who are physically strong and who can carry heavy boxes of food (50 lbs.) from the truck to the pantry.Our food pantry currently serves over 200 immigrant families per week who fall under federal poverty guidelines. Many of our clients, who receive this and other survival services from us, stay connected to the organization and involved in community activities that tackle issues affecting their communities.
- Help combat hunger in underserved communities of immigrants
- Gain knowledge of community organizing and what providing survival services do to the empowerment of our clients.
- Volunteer along clients in a dynamic environment and in an organization with a long history of organizing and community empowerment.
- Help carry food items from the truck to the pantry,
- Classify and organize the items in the food pantry,
- Label the items in the food pantry
Requirments: Our volunteers come from diverse backgrounds and experiences. It is most important to us that participants have a strong desire to support and work with the immigrant community. Willingness to learn, great teamwork, communication skills, and an enthusiastic commitment to supporting immigrants will be required from all volunteers. Screening and application materials as well as orientation and training will be provided and required from all our volunteers.
- Ability to lift heavy objects (cans and other food items) approx 50 lbs
- Reliable, Responsible, and Trustworthy
- Patient and with a good sense of humor
- Great team player
- Highly motivated and willing to help
Desired but not required:
- Bilingual (Spanish/English)
- Basic computer knowledge
- Basic Computer Skills
- People Skills
- Customer Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- one day/week for 4 hours