Friendly visitors are volunteers who provide companionship and emotional support to CICOA’s clients who are homebound or very limited in their ability to get out and about. Friendly visitors may be the only social contact with non-professionals that CICOA homebound client’s experience. While sharing a few hours of your time may not seem like much, the impact and quality of life your presence and friendship has on clients is often time immeasurable. All while simply watching a ball game, playing cards or a friendly board game, or just simply chatting on the porch.
DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Visit client in his/her home and provide face-to-face companionship and emotional support for minimum of 1 hour per visit.
- If willing, perform simple tasks such as helping open mail, reading to client, running simple errands, laundry, and light housekeeping activities upon request.
- If needed, report major changes in client’s health status or living situation to CICOA Volunteer Coordinator.
- Enter a clear mutual agreement about expectations and limitations with client and Volunteer Coordinator.
- Inform client as soon as possible if agreed upon schedule needs to be changes.
- Minimum of 1 client visit a month
- Must be 18 years or older
- Completed Volunteer Application
- Must submit to background check
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate
- Have available transportation
- Flexible, accessible, and reliable
- Attend orientation to review information regarding confidentiality laws, organizational policies and volunteer guidelines.
- Willing to attend periodic trainings/meeting.
- CICOA volunteers do not transport clients, dispense medications, give personal care or accept payment / gifts of any kind.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- We are flexible with your schedule!