- Contribute suggestions and revisions to lesson plans and resource material for classroom training.
- Assist with teaching classes (in cooperation with another instructor) of 25-70 volunteers on tax law needed to prepare returns that are in-scope for VITA programs and on use of electronic filing software.
- Closely follow the training team lesson plan and use previous experience and knowledge to augment and illustrate tax concepts.
- Ability to clearly explain tax law issues that are commonly misunderstood to volunteers possessing various levels of income tax law knowledge (many of whom have no prior tax law knowledge).
- Effective classroom management and communication skills including a dynamic and confident classroom personality.
- Extensive knowledge of individual income tax law related to the type of returns prepared by the Community Tax Centers.
- Confident computer skills.
- Experience in classroom instruction preferred (need not be a professional teacher).
- Instructors are expected to attend monthly training team meetings from November to January.
- Instructors will generally teach 4-8 classes. Classes are 4-8 hours long. Some classes are scheduled in December, but the majority of the classes are taught in January. Classes are scheduled on weekdays, weeknights and weekends to accommodate the availability of both volunteers and instructors.
- Instructor assignments are made by the Volunteer Coordinator based on instructor availability and judgment on compatibility of instructors’ styles.
- Teaching / Instruction
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Customer Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- November to January