POSITION OVERVIEW: People Helping People Global (PHPG) is seeking long-term volunteers (minimum of a six-month commitment) to help with its projects in Central America; however, preference will be directed towards individuals who are able to commit to longer periods of time. Travel, develop Spanish-language skills, manage staff/volunteers, and work for a grassroots, micro-lending organization in Nicaragua.
GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATION: PHPG currently operates in areas surrounding the town of Granada and in the department of Matagalpa. Applicants may request either location, although positions will be offered based on skills, current openings, and schedules.
QUALIFICATIONS: We’re looking for organized, motivated individuals with previous travel experience or an interest in experiencing the developing world. Fluent Spanish speakers are preferred; however, intermediate Spanish-speakers are also welcome to apply. A background in Finance, Economics, or Latin American Studies is also preferred; however, anyone is welcome to apply. Applicants with prior management experience are preferred.
DUTIES (Including, but not limited to):
- Interview prospective loan recipients to determine whether they qualify for our programs.
- Conduct periodic reviews of our loan recipients' progress and identify potential challenges for our clients.
- Attend community meetings with our Nicaraguan staff and assist in the collection of loan repayments.
- Write blog entries about your experiences (creative media, such as videos, are greatly encouraged!)
- Organize Microfinance Plus programs, where experts will come in to teach certain skills and conduct classes.
- Report progress to the PHPG home office in the U.S.
- Spread the word about PHPG and be an advocate for the organization both in Nicaragua and in the U.S.
- Conduct independent projects.
- Manage employees, interns, and volunteers.
COMPENSATION: This is an unpaid staff position. The PHPG Regional Coordinator may qualify for a food/living stipend. Volunteers may fundraise through the organization to cover the expenses of travel, lodging, and food. PHPG will do its best to support the volunteers in any fundraising efforts. A volunteer can expect to spend between $6,000 and $9,600 for a year-long commitment.
CONTACT INFORMATION: Alex Tuck, Executive Director - email@example.com, (802) 373-1372.
HOW TO APPLY: Complete short application at https://goo.gl/forms/9S84OhSbbB41Bmi43; also feel free to send an email to Alex with your resume/CV or more information about yourself.
COMPANY OVERVIEW: People Helping People Global is a U.S. registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. It provides interest-free microloans to individuals living on less than $2 USD per day. These loans are used solely for the purposes of starting or expanding small businesses. The organization currently operates in Nicaragua - in the regions of Granada and Matagalpa. If you would like to learn more about the organization, feel free to visit their website, http://phpgmicrolending.org.
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Several hours per week
- International travel experience