BECOME A PEER SUPPORT VOLUNTEER FOR RUSSIAN SPEAKING WOMEN'S CANCER CLIENTS
"The Women's Cancer Program staff and my volunteer emotionally gave me a desire to live and fight for my life. The people of Shanti were an example that even through emotional struggle, I can also be an asset to society." - Women's Cancer Program Client
Since 1974, Shanti's peer support volunteers have been providing emotional and practical support to the underserved whom are living with life threatening illnesses as well as LGBT isolated seniors and adults with disabilities. Each year, Shanti serves over 1,600 women and men living with HIV/AIDS and over 450 women living with cancer, most of whom are low-income and medically underserved.
If you would like to tangibly enhance the life of someone who needs it the most, we encourage you to contact us and learn more about this truly unique opportunity.
WE NEED RUSSIAN SPEAKING VOLUNTEERS!
As a peer support volunteer, you will:
- Go through the internationally-recognized Shanti Model of Peer Support training
- Be matched 1 on 1 with a client to whom you will provide companionship, a non-judgmental ear and light practical assistance
- Join a community of thoughtful, supportive volunteers and staff
You can make an invaluable difference to the life of someone who needs it the most, and have your life changed in the process.
Shanti has several volunteer trainings each year, and the next one will be held on the following dates:
Friday, June 9 th from 6:00-9:30pm
Saturday, June 10 th from 9:00-6:00pm
Sunday, June 11 th from 9:00-6:00pm
Wednesday, June 14 th from 6:00-9:30pm
For more information or to apply, please contact Volunteer Services at show contact info .
Shanti was founded in 1974. Since its inception, Shanti has trained more than 18,000 individuals in the Bay Area and 600 organizations around the world in compassionately providing emotional and practical support to clients grappling with life-threatening illnesses & disabilities, social isolation and poverty. Recognized as the first community-based AIDS Organization in the world, Shanti serves over 2,000 underserved San Francisco's most vulnerable residents.
To view an inspirational video on the work of a Shanti volunteer, click on the link below:
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Mental Health
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum 6 moths 2-6 hours per week
- A Life-Changing Volunteer...
- HIV Services Intern
- Shanti Intern Needed: LGBTQ...
- Someone with cancer needs you.....
- Russian Speaking Volunteers for...
- PAWS is looking for pet support...
- Support LGBT Seniors and People...
- Pet Food Bank Delivery...
- Become an Activities Volunteer...
- Make a Difference in Someone's...