Bicycle Angels is a non-profit charity that loans road bicycles for free to people that want to participate and fund raise for an eligible charity cycling or triathlon event, but don’t have a suitable bike to use, and can’t afford one. Our bicycles are loaned to motivated and committed individuals who are passionate about charity fundraising but are not financially capable of owning a bike suitable for endurance cycling.
We help remove a major barrier to charity fundraising, plus engage new people into cycling. About half of our loan recipients later go on to buy their own bike.
Since our inception in late 2009, we have loaned bicycles to over 400 participants who have collectively raised over $1.2 million for 12 important causes. These numbers are growing all the time. Charities that have benefited to date include the Leukemia Lymphoma Society (via Team in Training), Multiple Sclerosis Society, National Diabetes Society, AIDS Lifecycle, Arthritis Foundation, Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation, and Barb’s Breast Cancer Fund. We currently have a fleet of over 130 road bikes for loan.
We currently have operations in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Salt Lake City, and Las Vegas, with more to come in the future.
Our San Francisco Area Manager (our second largest operation) is moving from the area, so we now are seeking one or more individuals to run this location. This is currently an unpaid, volunteer position but may involve pay (stipend or more) in the future as our finances grow.
The duties will eventually be split into two positions when the manpower is available to make that happen.
The main duties of this position are:Area Fleet Manager Role (our most critical need):
- Responsible for fleet for area office.
- Storage location as needed, either in a volunteer location (like a private business or garage), rented storage space or garage, or other acceptable secure indoor location.
- Issue bicycle loans and receive returns per policy guidelines.
- Maintain required information for operations:
- Loan paperwork
- Fleet status worksheets
- Funds raised worksheet
- Receive donations of used bikes to add to the fleet. May require picking up bikes from donors.
- Optional - work with local used sporting goods or bike store to sell donated bikes that are unsuitable or bikes removed from fleet. Or, sell on Craig’s list or similar.
Area Manager Role:
- Interface and coordinate with local charities to increase program participation.
- Work to increase local visibility of Bicycle Angels:
- Trade shows (booth)
- Local media
- Maintain finances for area office. Coordinate with corporate Treasurer.
- Work to obtain donations of bicycles and funds.
- Work to obtain local sponsors:
- Bicycle shops
- Cycle industry
- Other sponsors
- Optionally, form a "Team Bicycle Angels" riding group to support local operations.
- Coordinate with Board and officers for general operations.
Ideally, volunteers will be an experienced cyclist who has completed at least one endurance fundraising event and is familiar with the local cycling community.
If this sounds like a position you'd be interested in, please contact me.
- Data Entry
- Office Management
- Program Management
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 21
- 1 to 10 hours per week
- Should have their own vehicle, but it is possible in the SF area for someone who does not.