Pompeii: The Exhibition makes its North American premier at Kansas City’s historic Union Station. The exhibition examines the lives of residents of Pompeii before and after the catastrophic eruption of Mount Vesuvius on August 24th, 79 A.D. Nearly 200 artifacts on loan from the collection of the Naples National Archaeological Museum will be displayed when the exhibition opens in November, ten of which will make their North American debut. Visitors to the exhibition will travel back in time to 79 A.D. when Pompeii bustled as a commercial port and strategic military and trading city. In a media-rich, object-based, immersive experience, they will learn how the people of Pompeii lived, loved, worked, worshipped and found entertainment.
Volunteer Positions vary. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to customer service, checking/ taking tickets, greeting and directing guests, maintaining a clean and safe environment, and educating and interacting with exhibit guests.
Weekly and Episodic Shifts Available:
- Monday - Thursday: 10am - 1:30pm; 1:30pm - 5pm
- Friday - Saturday: 10am - 1pm; 1pm - 4pm; 4pm - 7pm
- Sundays: 11am - 2pm; 2pm - 5pm -OR- 11am - 5pm
Orientation: there are two training sessions available at Union Station before the exhibit opens:
- Saturday November 12th, 12pm - 2pm
- Wednesday November 16th, 5:30pm - 7:30pm
After the exhibit opens, all training will be done on an individual basis.
**Volunteers must go through orientation before they can work the exhibit.
If you are interested, please go to UnionStation.org/Volunteers, fill out an application, and note that you are interested in Pompeii!
For more information about Pompeii: The Exhibition, please visit UnionStation.org/pompeii/
We hope you will enjoy everything about your volunteer experience at Union Station. The services you give to our organization are critical to the success of our mission. Therefore, we try to make your experience as rewarding as possible. Here are some of the benefits we offer to volunteers:
- Free parking any time you volunteer at Union Station.
- You will receive the same discounts as Union Station staff members at the Science City and Kansas City stores, and all restaurants.
- Free membership!
- Invitation to various events, such as exhibit openings and volunteer recognition days.
- Volunteers may deduct from your taxes each year: meal costs, uniform costs and transportation expenses (in accordance with IRS regulations - See bulletin board in the Volunteer Office). The Volunteer Office will provide a list to each volunteer upon request that verifies the number of hours you volunteered that year.
- People Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
- General Education
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 15
- Orientation or Training