Position Summary: Science Educator Volunteers help visitors explore and learn in one of OMSI’s interactive exhibit halls or labs: Early Childhood Education, Earth Science, Life Science, Chemistry, Physics, Laser Lab, Food Science, Design Lab, and Featured Exhibits.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interact with visitors to help them explore and learn from exhibits and lab activities.
- Present science demonstrations to visitors.
- Help young children to explore science through hands-on art projects and activities.
- Assist with maintenance of the hall and lab, including opening and closing procedures.
- Answer visitor questions and provide other information about the museum.
- Assume other duties as assigned by the Educators.
- Committed to sharing accurate science information.
- Able to maintain a calm, pleasant, and cheerful demeanor in a noisy and crowded environment.
- Able to communicate effectively with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds.
- Able to provide excellent customer service.
- Must present a professional appearance.
- Dependable and punctual.
- Self-directed and willing to take initiative.
- Willing to follow OMSI rules and procedures.
- Training and a lifelong learning experience.
- Admission for the volunteer to the museum, theater and planetarium shows, and submarine tours.
- An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service
- Discounts in the OMSI Science Store and on-site restaurants.
- The opportunity to meet many new people and learn more about OMSI
- Math / Science Instruction
- People Skills
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 8 hours or more per month