Organization/Repository: Trustees of Reservations - Archives & Research Center
Internship Program: Archives
Location Name: The Trustees of Reservations Archives & Research Center
Address: 27 Everett Street
City, State, ZIP: Sharon, MA, 02067
Supervisor: Head Archivist
Hours: T, W, Th, 9-4, 3 months
Mass Transit: Accessible via mass transit
Commuter train from South Station to Sharon. Walk 15 minutes to the Archives & Research Center.
Parking: Parking available
This position is unpaid
Process and describe 4 linear feet of materials relating to the Allen C. Haskell Public Gardens in New Bedford, MA. Mr. Haskell, a horticulturalist, owned and managed his own plant nursery in New Bedford where he was well-known for his hostas. The intern will revise the legacy finding aid to incorporate new materials into the collection and update collection records as needed. Items include correspondence, receipts and printed materials.
* Previous experience in Archives, Library Science or Museum Studies program required
* Entry level collections processing experience
* Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
* Excellent communication and time management skills
* Ability to work independently; ability to take direction; willingness to ask questions
* Ability to lift boxes up to 40 pounds
* Interest in Massachusetts history and culture preferred
* This position requires the ability to sit for extended periods of time
* Logging Internship hours weekly into our volunteer database
Founded in 1891, The Trustees of Reservations (The Trustees) preserve, for public use and enjoyment, properties of exceptional scenic, historic, and ecological value in Massachusetts and work to protect special places across the state. We have helped protect more than 50,000 acres, including 25,000+ acres on more than 100 reservations that are all open to the public. We are a nonprofit conservation organization funded and supported entirely by our visitors, supporters, volunteers and more than 40,000 members.
The Trustees’ curatorial resources include archives, buildings, landscapes, ruins and artifacts covering hundreds of years of human history. In the historic houses, at the Archives & Research Center, and in the land itself, The Trustees preserves the landscapes and material culture of Massachusetts people. Objects and archives enrich a wide range of programs and activities.
Archives & Research Center (ARC) and the Collections
The Archives & Research Center (ARC) is the hub of The Trustees’ curatorial, stewardship, and organizational history. Located in Sharon, Massachusetts, the ARC provides outside researchers, Trustees staff, and volunteers access to thousands of historical documents, objects, and artifacts related to The Trustees’ properties. The ARC, an energy-efficient, climate-controlled building, opened in 2008 and houses 1,500 linear feet of archival materials which document The Trustees’ founding role in the land trust movement, the stories of The Trustees’ properties across the Commonwealth, and the lives of American families from the 1600s to the present. The Trustees’ collections represent domestic furnishings, outdoor sculptures, fine and decorative arts from pre-contact to the 20th century. They include more than 30 private collections featuring exceptional pieces from indigenous Massachusetts peoples to mid-century Modern. Archival collections include works of art on paper, photographs, maps, architectural plans, garden designs, botanical specimens, manuscripts, letters, diaries, books, business ledgers, legal documents and deeds linked to specific properties and to the organization’s history.
To Apply send a cover letter and resume to Eileen Small at email@example.com. Applications without cover letters will not be considered.
- Problem Solving
- Library Sciences
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Critical Thinking
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- T, W, Th 9-4, 3 months
- entry level collections processing experience
- Gardening Volunteer - Weir River...
- Event Assistant - Weir River Farm
- Kitchen Assistant - Powisset Farm
- Event Volunteer at Eleanor Cabot...
- Bricklayer/Mason - Bradley Estate
- Guest Services Ambassador -...
- BNAN Community Garden Archive...
- Appleton Family Scanning Project...
- Communications Intern - Bradley...
- Communications Outreach...
- Children's Public Program...
- For a Song - Powisset Farm
- Nature Based Educator - Rocky...
- Mission House Collections...
- Property Ambassador - Eleanor...
- Habitat Restoration - Copicut...
- Allen C. Haskell Papers...