Interpreters work with VITA clients throughout the tax preparation process. Volunteers who speak Cantonese, Mandarin, Spanish and Vietnamese are always needed.
- Work with the Volunteer Site Coordinator and others at a VITA site to assist with interpreting tax payer information.
- Provide free interpreter services at VITA site(s).
- Encourage clients to save a portion of their refund as a savings bond or in a savings account or safe and secure prepaid debit card.
- Maintain confidentiality of taxpayer information.
- Ensure no compensation of any kind is accepted for volunteer services provided.
- Read all communications and updates on tax requirements or procedural changes.
- Respect client privacy.
- Maintain accurate records of assistance provided.
- Give 24-hour cancellation notice when unable to volunteer at your site.
- Ability to work as a volunteer one shift per week (4 hours), totaling at least 30 hours from January 24 th to April 15 th, 2017.
- Strong verbal and communication skills.
- Good interpersonal skills and comfort with a wide range of people.
- Ability to take initiative and work with minimal supervision.
- Commitment to strengthening families by increasing self-sufficiency.
- Proficiency in English and Cantonese, Mandarin or Spanish. Ability to translate both languages helpful.
- Basic tax knowledge (Form 1040, Form 1040A and Form 1040EZ) is helpful, but not required.
- Experienced interpreter preferred but not required.
Training (to be provided by us Dec-Jan):
- Module 1 required.
- Pass the Standard of Conduct certification through Link and Learn.
We will have three orientation sessions in November and December. To sign up, please follow this link:http://tinyurl.com/jmatyy9.
If you have any questions, please contact Meg Heisler at email@example.com or (510) 606-1786.
- Cantonese / Mandarin
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 4 hrs/week, January - April